Raptor ID class (IR copy)

A raptor identification class is set for Wednesday, Sept. 25, and the Advanced ID course will be held Friday, Sept. 27. The field trip for both groups will be on Saturday, Sept. 28

Raptor Identification Workshops to be held

Amy Seaman is offering two Raptor Identification Workshops at 6 p.m. at Montana Wild, 2668 Broadwater Ave., and field trips to the Big Belts Golden Eagle Migration Survey site, near Helena. The introductory course will be held Wednesday, Sept. 25, and the Advanced ID course will be held Friday, Sept. 27. The field trip for both groups will be on Saturday, Sept. 28. Participation in the beginner workshop is $50 and will be limited to 20 people. Participation in the advanced identification workshop is $75 and will also be limited to 20 people. For more info email: Janet Johnston at info@mtaudubon.org. To register go to https://ebird.org/mt/news/autumn-raptor-workshops-scheduled.

Get familiar with this year’s upland game bird guide

Upland bird season kicked off Sept. 1, so it's still a good time to dig into this season's hunting access guide.

To get started, hunters can refer to the Projects Access Guide, published annually by Montana Fish, Wildlife & Parks’ Upland Game Bird Enhancement Program. The guide includes project maps that depict boundaries of private lands enrolled in the UGBEP. Once hunters have obtained the landowner's permission to hunt, the maps with access boundaries can be an invaluable tool for hunters to locate UGBEP project areas.

Hunters can find the guide and the maps online at fwp.mt.gov. Click UGBEP Projects Access Guide.

Printed access guides are available at FWP headquarters and regional offices. Hunters can also request a copy of the access guide via FWP's website.

For more information, contact Debbie Hohler at 406-444-5674, or by e-mail to dhohler@mt.gov.

Check your license before you head out into the field

Don’t wait until opening day to discover your license and carcass tags are faded and need to be replaced. Hunters and anglers with licenses that are displaying faded text making them difficult to read can have those licenses replaced at no cost at their regional Fish, Wildlife & Parks office.

License providers will soon receive new license paper that will not fade as is the issue with the current yellow paper. This paper will be shipped to providers during the week of Sept. 9. The new paper rolls will be white, not the traditional bright yellow, for ease of recognition between good paper and bad.

Another option is to go to fwp.mt.gov, login to MyFWP and request a digital version of your license to print at home or download to a smartphone. Digital licenses are good for everything but a carcass tag.

Replacement at an FWP office for faded licenses do not count against the number of replacements an individual is allowed. Local license providers are unable to offer free replacements; the cost is $5 for each license replaced. Faded licenses can also be mailed to FWP for replacement: P.O. Box 200701, Helena, MT 59620-0701 or to your regional FWP office.

You have free articles remaining.

Become a Member

Turn in poachers, call 1-800-Tip-Mont

The Montana Fish, Wildlife & Parks toll-free hotline for reporting wildlife poaching, property damage, and violations of fish and game laws is in operation 24 hours a day.

TIP-MONT is the acronym for Turn in Poachers—Montana. Poaching includes:

  • hunting out of season or at night using spotlights
  • taking more than one's legal limit
  • nonresidents who purchase resident licenses
  • professional and commercial poachers who illegally offer outfitter and guide services.

If you witnesses a fish and game violation, or property vandalism, you can report the crime by calling 1-800-TIP-MONT (1-800-847-6668); or Report a Violation online at fwp.mt.gov, then click Enforcement.

Callers may remain anonymous and may be eligible for a cash reward.

Ask first to hunt on private land

Don't wait until it is too late. Hunters who haven't already asked permission from private landowners to hunt need to do so as soon as possible.

Montana law requires hunters to obtain permission for all hunting on private land. Whether pursuing upland game birds, coyotes, gophers or any other wildlife, hunters must have permission from the landowner before hunting on private property.

Landowners may grant permission in person, over the phone, in writing or by posting signs that explain what type of hunting is allowed and under what conditions hunting may occur on land owned or controlled by the landowner.

Digital tools available to help new hunters

Montana Fish, Wildlife & Parks along with the International Hunter Education Association-USA are pleased to announce the launch of an all-new digital content platform and website. The digital platform titled Hunters Connect provides information on the “how-to,” “where-to,” “when-to,” “what-to” for new hunters. Hunters Connect can be accessed from IHEA-USA’s new website HunterEd.com.

Hunters Connect will feature a dedicated YouTube channel, Instagram feed and Facebook page focused on providing relevant information and engagement with new and emerging hunters. From purchasing and applying for licenses, selecting firearms and bows, choosing gear, reading maps, tactics for hunting different species, food care and prep, and everything in between, new hunters can find a one-stop platform where they can find answers and advice.

Be the first to know - Sign up for News Alerts

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.

Load comments