Studies prove that being vegan is healthiest

2013-06-09T00:00:00Z Studies prove that being vegan is healthiestHenry Imhoff Helena Helena Independent Record
June 09, 2013 12:00 am  •

This week’s issue of Time Magazine brings more documentation that vegetarians live longer than their meat-chomping friends.

A six-year study of 70,000 Seventh-Day Adventists, published in the current issue of American Medical Association’s prestigious Journal of Internal Medicine, found that, vegetarians and vegans have a 12 percent lower risk of death.

This is but the latest evidence linking meat consumption to killer diseases that kill 1.3 million Americans annually. It comes only two months after a discovery at the Cleveland Clinic that carnitine, contained in all meat products, is a major factor in heart failure.

Similarly, an Oxford University study of nearly 45,000 adults in last January’s American Journal of Clinical Nutrition found that vegetarians were 32 percent less likely to be suffer from heart disease than people who ate meat and fish. A Harvard University study of 37,698 men and 83,644 women, in last year’s Archives of Internal Medicine, concluded that meat consumption raises the risk of total, heart and cancer mortality.

Indeed, each of us can find their own fountain of youth by adopting a meat and dairy-free diet. An internet search on “vegan recipes” or “live vegan” provides ample resources.

1. GreatWhite
    GreatWhite - June 26, 2013 12:59 pm
    I see my original comment failed to post. The CDC is where I got that info Bidnessman. It's not my opinion. Vegatables get contaminated via environmental influences pretty much exclusively. Animals on the other hand...often carry their own microbes and whatnot on the inside. Here's a simple explanation:

2. gemini_chick
    gemini_chick - June 25, 2013 9:52 am
    IMHO Henry is not pushing his lifestyle on anyone. He is merely sharing data that indicates that a vegan diet is healthiest. I myself am not a vegan or vegetarian, but after watching Forks over Knives and Fat Sick and Nearly Dead, I am convinced that as Americans we consume meat in quantities that are making us as a nation sick. Beyond meat consumption, we consume too much SUGAR and specifically high fructose corn syrup and "food like" products that have no nutritional value. The Standard American Diet (SAD) is making us sick. Obesity, diabetes, cancer and heart problems are all linked to our SAD diet. Everyone has the freedom to eat whatever they want, but if you have informed data about what is good for you, why wouldn't a person make changes that will in the end benefit them? just sayin.
  3. dietz1963
    dietz1963 - June 24, 2013 10:41 am
    Depends on the person what "raw" plants someone can eat. People with GERD disease can't eat most "plants" or rather, fruits/vegatables raw due to the acidity.

As I said, the "odds are good" when it comes to diet and living longer is that one will. However, the odds are equally good that despite diet one won't live longer for any number of hundreds of reasons. So bottom line, eat what you want and I'll do the same.
  4. native_pride
    native_pride - June 24, 2013 10:13 am
    I'm sorry that you're so sensitive..; we're providing information so that you can make your own decisions, what's best for you, the environment, the animals...it's up to you. This here is called a discussion, a conversation, or a blog. And, f you don't want to participate, then don't feel complelled to chime in, only to offer a complaints about the discussion itself. However, because you did make the choice to comment, there is one statement I take note of:

"Now, does this choice affect you? No, so leave me alone."

Nobody cares what you eat. Clog your arteries with red beef and enjoy being overweight and tired all the time; it's your body...however I do care about how our culture treats animals and the devesating effect large scale commercial operations have on the environment. I also get testy when people take it on themselves to raise my health insurance premiums so that I can chip in to take care of all their poor lifesyle choices. I guess that does kind of effect me since it's my country too, and I care deeply about it.

Now go be alone, as you wish...
  5. native_pride
    native_pride - June 24, 2013 9:56 am
    It's nonsense to even hint at the suggestion that smoking tobbaco isn't going to lead to lung cancer. Your statement was loaded; and since you asked, let's look at why:

"There are people that smoke their entire life, live into their 80's or 90s never getting cancer....others that die in their 40s or 50s getting lung cancer never having smoked or exposed to 2nd hand smoke"

should read (in order to accurate)

"There are [reportedly, very unusaul and rare instances of] people that smoke their entire life, live into their 80's or 90s never getting cancer....[however, the vast majority of people who smoke tobacco] die earl[ier then those that don't smoke]. [The incident rate of persons] in their 40s or 50s getting lung cancer never having smoked or exposed to 2nd hand smoke [is remarkably lower than those who smoke tobacco, almost neglible]"

I understand you're trying to make a point that eating animals isn't going to affect your health because we observe that tobacco 'sometimes' doesn't affect our health either; however, choosing to compare this thesis to smoking tobacco is simply a poor analogy. e.g. --> "Nonsense"

The truth is, eating animals, does effect your health, negatively, as well as the general environment, and our culture conditioning towards the respect of life and the greater environement. I would challenge you to eat your animals (protiens) raw, as that seems more natural. Oh, what's that? The though of eating raw animals makes you sick? You fear you could get sick or die? Is that maybe because your body wasn't really designed for that kind of diet? Seems like we can eat "most" plants raw, (with few exceptions).

6. dietz1963
    dietz1963 - June 20, 2013 1:21 pm
    Whats nonsense? Its fact. If you want to get into odds, the odds are in your favor if you take care of yourself as a general rule you'll live longer. Here again, odds are. I think it should be up to the individual to decide how they should live and not be dictated to by the government or anyone else. Here in Montana, the odds of me getting hit or killed by a drunk driver is higher then the chance of getting cancer.

Plants are living things albeit different then animals true enough. However, unless you're planting your own garden, good chance what you're eating may not be the best in the world. Look at all the chemicals used in the agriculture industry. Its still hard for be to believe chemicals used to engineer plants, prevent certain bugs from destroying them and so on, itsn't damaging something somewhere.
  7. Bidnessman
    Bidnessman - June 20, 2013 12:45 pm
    I think in this case GW, I would trust the CDC rather than your opinion.
  8. native_pride
    native_pride - June 20, 2013 10:04 am
    More nonesense. Although there are certainly exceptions to the anything, scientists and intellectuals tend to focus in a trending when making conclusions. That is, what is it that happends in the majority of cases?

As a trend, tobacco smokers die an early, preventable death from lung cancer, stroke, heart attach, or any number of other cancers. There is 1 guy out there still smoking at 90, but there are 1000 others that dies way too early. The incident rate among non smokers with lung cancer in their 40s in negligible.

You can observe similar trends in diet. Those that choose a poor diet, suffer the consequences. And vegetarians by and by tend to be healthier. Although there are excemptions, I take a point with the argument that is just doesn't matter.

And of course, many people choose a vegan lifestyle, not for themselves, but to save untold suffering and pain that is practiced within the animal food industrty. Do some good research into how animals are treated within industrial farms and then tell me that's not evil.
  9. GreatWhite
    GreatWhite - June 19, 2013 2:16 pm
    And most every one of those can be attributed to contamination via other sources. Usually workers passing them on. It is vital to rinse your veggies well before consumption.

You are more likely to die from poultry regardless.
  10. GreatWhite
    GreatWhite - June 19, 2013 2:14 pm
    Yep...we got those fun little ditties as well dietz! Fact is, none of are getting out of this alive. Marketing and advertising is a way of life...! It isn't enough I see it on TV, or hear it on the radio, or get phone calls...every where we are surrounded by people convincing us we need this, that or the other thing. Or telling us this will kill us, or that will kill us.

Sugar is bad, artificial sweeteners are bad...I don't even know where we currently are on the decades long egg debate!

But, like it says...studies have shown...! And from certain perspectives, meat diets require torture and death. Not to mention the subsequent health issues that may just not have occured meatless.

And saying nothing is not raising awareness...it's here, it's your choice whether to approve of it for you or just ignore.
    dolphind3 - June 19, 2013 1:04 pm
    Yes he is pushing his lifestyle on others. He does it all the time. This is the tofu turkey guy. Get a life and worry about yourself.
  12. dietz1963
    dietz1963 - June 19, 2013 8:36 am
    Bombared with meat and alcohol commercials? Huh? Try bombared with drug commericals with the first 10 seconds talking about what good the drug can do for you and the other 30-40 seconds talking about the side effects....none of which sound good.

One thing I do agree with, just ignore it. Oh there may be a day that the government gets so far into our lives they dictate what we can eat or drink....thats a few decades down the road though. Unless you live in NY of course. We all have a pretty good clue in that anything could kill us....or not. There are people that smoke their entire life, live into their 80's or 90s never getting cancer....others that die in their 40s or 50s getting lung cancer never having smoked or exposed to 2nd hand smoke. Meat eaters that live also into their 80's or 90's and by and large no proper diet or exercise....vegetarians that religiously take care of themselves through exercise/proper diet and still die early.
  13. GreatWhite
    GreatWhite - June 18, 2013 11:17 am
    Hmmmmmmmm. ThatDevGuy; "Why do people feel the need to try to push their lifestyle choices on others?" On with 'I'll trade 5 or so years off the end of my life for the ability to enjoy steak, chicken, etc....'

Darth Vader; "I don't care what other people eat, but I wish they could keep it to themselves." On with 'I eat a lot of elk, deer and chicken...etc'.

Thanks for keeping YOUR preferences to yourself. Read native_prides comment below: (Specifically these two parts!)

"What I’ve mentioned is strictly from a ‘personal health perspective’. But are we so self-absorbed as a culture that we only think about ourselves with total disregard to the animals and the tremendous abuse they are undergoing or to the environment that is suffering the consequences of the meat and dairy industry? But I’m sure you’ve heard this all before. When we cause harm to the animals and to the environment, we directly cause harm to our own selves as well.

When we choose a plant based diet, the sum of that single decision has extremely far reaching consequences and we can know that we are playing our part in contributing to the health of our own bodies, our families, communities and to the health of this Earth."

It's what is behind the whole livestock, predator, hunting/trapping battle as well. Those that see long term damage and want to correct it, and those that only care about today. Which one are you?
  14. GreatWhite
    GreatWhite - June 18, 2013 9:31 am
    That is relatively rare, and it's mostly baby chimps. They will kill the adults, but it's more of a territorial thing. I know people that have been successful feeding their dogs on vegan dog food. I get your point, and it does require some caution and alertness to what you are eating.

Our ancestral man, back far enough, didn't have the capacity to cook meat. And eating raw meat is NOT good for us, we are not really built for meat. And ancestral man ate a lot of nuts/fruits/berries...they had a good variety.

What I hear a lot is simply what can be chalked up to modern conditioning and beliefs concerning our dietary needs. Ever since livestock started being readily available it became a 'replacement' staple for a healthier way of living. Along with it came lot's of health issues. Which, coupled with the 'longer life spans' we tend to live today, makes those issues more common.

Even the tribes that don't have access to meat are largely dependant on insects and small lizards for their 'meat intake'. The notion of dining on meat like we do today is a relatively modern thought. That's all I'm saying.
  15. native_pride
    native_pride - June 18, 2013 9:15 am
    A COMMON MYTH: "Plant proteins tend not to be as complete as animal proteins"

Why eat animals when you can get everything you need to not only be healthy but to totally thrive from plants? Besides the dangers of eating too much protein – in excess of 10%, eating animal based proteins, in any amount can prove detrimental to health. Eating animal flesh is highly acidic, leaching alkaline minerals like calcium from bones. Meat is also extremely toxic with all of the antibiotics and artificial hormones fed to animals to make them grow faster and bigger (guess what they do to you when you eat them) and can exhaust the liver and kidneys having to work overtime to detoxify the body of these toxic and harmful substances. It also takes quite a lot more energy from our body to digest and break down meat, sapping our bodies of our vital life force. In addition, contrary to popular belief, it’s consuming animal flesh that spikes an insulin response in the body leading to insulin resistance and atrophy of the pancreas setting the stage for type 2 diabetes. And regardless of how ‘lean’ the meat, eating animals contains high amounts of fat and cholesterol, leading to all sorts of cardiovascular problems including heart disease, atherosclerosis and stroke. This is totally aside from the incredibly clear and unmistakably conclusive research that Dr. Campbell discusses in his book, the China Study outlining the most comprehensive health study ever conducted, directly relating animal protein to cancer.

When it comes to quality of proteins, the real debate, in my opinion isn’t so much the debate about animal versus plant based proteins but more appropriately about cooked versus raw proteins.
  16. Darth Vader
    Darth Vader - June 17, 2013 4:40 pm
    Exactly. The only thing that irritates me more than politicians coming to my door are the religious peddlers. I don't care what other people eat, but I wish they could keep it to themselves. I eat a lot of elk, deer, and chicken. But I love a good beef fillet or porterhouse. I don't write letters advocating eating meat, nor am I influenced by overpriced studies.
  17. FlamingLiberal1
    FlamingLiberal1 - June 17, 2013 3:33 pm
    Chimps cannibalize members of other bands. The only reason they don't eat more meat is related to ease of obtaining it. Primitive man had the same issue. We largely ate a vegan diet except when they guys got lucky and downed a mammoth or something. And while cats, and to a lesser extent dogs, are mostly carnivorous, the fact is that some people try and feed them vegan diets... there are commercially produced pet foods which are vegan. And the animals suffer, because they do not get the complete proteins they require (admittedly in greater quantities than we humans do). My point is that someone eating a vegan diet or otherwise restricted diet needs to be more aware of possible deficiencies than someone eating a more varied diet. If I eat five apples a day and that's my entire fruit/vegetable intake, I'm going to miss out on some things. If a vegan doesn't eat a variety of foods, then he can get sick... someone whose menu contains more choices has a little more wiggle room.
  18. GreatWhite
    GreatWhite - June 17, 2013 2:35 pm
    Nuts and legumes tend to make up where green leafy veggies fall short. Fact is, a part of our overall health is always based in our genetics and diet only helps make up for what may be off there.

Cat's and dogs are predators, they are carnivorous by nature. They have a whole different stomach design than man. Not to mention teeth and jaw structure.

Riddle me this: Monkeys and Apes have the same nutritional needs as we do, yet are largely vegan. And mostly their 'meat' consumption is bugs and insects. So...do we really NEED meat? No. We just like it.
  19. GreatWhite
    GreatWhite - June 17, 2013 2:26 pm
    Is posting an article really pushing a lifestyle? We are constantly bombarded with commercials pushing meat products, and alchohol products...believe it or not...we have the option to just ignore them. I guess it's all relative to what you personally support.

If I like the message, it's okay. If I don't...it's someone pushing their lifestyle on me.

Eat broccoli, eat a steak...just reading an article doesn't make you do or stop doing anything. But...does it maybe strike something deep down? Maybe you choose being an omivore because it's comfortable. And doesn't require change. After all, conditioning plays a large role in our environment as grownups.
  20. Bidnessman
    Bidnessman - June 17, 2013 12:08 pm
    Couldn't agree with you more Guy! Who cares what anyone else eats other than PETA?
    As far as life style or longevity, my father in law is 83 and is living with diabetes. He watches his diet better than anyone I have ever met. His diet includes produce, fish, poultry, pork, and red meat. The guy works out everyday and is very active for his age. At one time he was quite the heck raiser, but began to change his lifestyle. I for one am very happy he's still around. We get to see him a couple times a week, take some time during road trips, and the guy is a real hoot just to be around. I hope he continues his current diet and lifestyle. If nothing else, just to guide me for a few more years. Lord knows I can use it.
  21. ThatDevGuy
    ThatDevGuy - June 17, 2013 11:33 am
    How can you tell if someone is vegan? Don't worry, they'll tell you.
  22. ThatDevGuy
    ThatDevGuy - June 17, 2013 11:33 am
    Why do people feel the need to try to push their lifestyle choices on others? Beliefs, religion, dietary choices, entertainment choices... seriously, as long as I'm not hurting you, why does it matter to you what I eat, believe, or do? Personally, I'm aware of the benefits of the vegan lifestyle, and consciously choose the benefits of an omnivorous lifestyle instead. I'll trade 5 or so years off the end of my life for the ability to enjoy steak, chicken, bacon, dairy, etc. rather than tofu for the next 30 or 40 years. Now, does this choice affect you? No, so leave me alone.
  23. FlamingLiberal1
    FlamingLiberal1 - June 14, 2013 12:59 pm
    A lot of supplements are not vegan. Gelatin capsules, for example. And a vegan relative of mine had been drinking calcium-enriched orange juice, then discovered the calcium was of bovine origin.

Plant proteins tend not to be as complete as animal proteins. There is a reason, for example, why you can't feed a cat or dog a vegan diet for long before its health suffers. I've seen vegan friends and relatives struggle with health issues related to unbalanced diets. Which isn't meant to imply that meat-eaters are automatically healthier; a lot of people eat diets which are going to hasten their deaths. But one has to be much more thoughtful and aware and disciplined to eat a limited diet and remain healthy.
  24. GreatWhite
    GreatWhite - June 14, 2013 8:43 am
    Broccoli has more protein calorie for calorie than steak! Being Vegan in no way means you need to be significantly more consdious of your diet. Beans, legumes and nuts have plenty of protein. And, protein is one of those things we oft consume to much of. And if one is to worried about a meatless diet, there are vitamin supplements available. The option of being vegetarian is also available if you want to be meat free but not commit to complete veganism. You can live completely meat free with little effort.

25. Agent Smith
    Agent Smith - June 13, 2013 8:05 pm
    Honey, get the grill lit. I'm gonna go out and kill us a T-Rex.
  26. native_pride
    native_pride - June 12, 2013 9:37 am
    I have yet to meet a person that calls themself Vegan that also engages in a 'junky diet'. In fact, the Vegans I know have clear skin ,are in great shape, and show clarity and intelligence, as well as strong libdo and an upbeat mood all the time. The very idea of being a Vegan is to increase awarness of our food source. Vegans pay very close attention to their diets, avoiding not only animal products, but GMOs, refined sugars, poisonous corn syrup, refined flours, and non-organic fruits and vegtables. I guarantee that every Vegan has put forth alot of 'consciousness' about thier diets, that's why they realized eating animals may not be the wisest of moves, healthwise, in the first place.

And there are no rules; it's not a religion or a special club. You can choose to be a Vegan on just Monday's if you want. Or just go vegetarian. Or fishitarian.
  27. native_pride
    native_pride - June 12, 2013 9:23 am
    How can I tell if somebody is a meat eater or a Vegan? (99% of the time).

Easy. The meat eater is overwieght.
  28. Bidnessman
    Bidnessman - June 10, 2013 4:49 pm
    According to the CDC, lettuce and other leafy greens are responsible for 2.2 million food-borne illnesses every year. Produce sickens 4.4 million annually.

Wash your hands, wash your produce, and cook your meats to temp people. That will help you be a little more comfortable while you are waiting for the "big one"!
  29. FlamingLiberal1
    FlamingLiberal1 - June 10, 2013 2:13 pm
    Although I myself am not a vegan, I do think that as a rule we (Americans) eat too much meat. However, I also want to point out to the author that it is quite possible to eat a junky diet as a vegan. Eating vegan is no guarantee of good health. Actually, vegans need to be more conscious than omnivores of their dietary choices to ensure they eat a balanced diet with complete proteins.
  30. GreatWhite
    GreatWhite - June 10, 2013 1:23 pm
    Do you have any ranch dressing?
  31. GreatWhite
    GreatWhite - June 10, 2013 1:23 pm
    Probably just the overall assessment that one may/may not keel over at any given moment.
  32. steeline
    steeline - June 10, 2013 8:26 am
    Any "Vegans or Vegitarians" that would like to come to my house I have a lawn that you can munch on and you can top off your meal with the weeds in my garden.
  33. MontanaMissy
    MontanaMissy - June 09, 2013 10:03 pm
    You say that Vegetarians and Vegans have a 12% less chance of dying? Are you suggesting that by not eating meat one can become immortal ? As far as I understand it, we all have a 100 % chance of dying, no matter what we eat.