Skip the turkey this Thanksgiving

2012-11-18T00:00:00Z Skip the turkey this ThanksgivingHenry Imhoff Helena Helena Independent Record
November 18, 2012 12:00 am  •

With his recent re-election, President Obama has won the power to pardon more turkeys on Thanksgiving.

But so does every one of us by choosing a nonviolent Thanksgiving observance that gives thanks for our good fortune, health and happiness with a life-affirming, cruelty-free feast of vegetables, fruits and grains.

And here are more terrific reasons:

• You will stay alert through the entire football game;

• You are what you eat. Who wants to be a “butterball”;

• Your vegetarian kid won’t have to boycott the family dinner;

• You won’t have to call poultry hotline to keep your family alive;

• Fruits and vegetables don’t have to carry government warning labels;

• You won’t sweat the environment and food resources devastation guilt trip;

• You won’t spend a sleepless night wondering how the turkey lived and died and

• Your body will welcome a holiday free from saturated fat, cholesterol and hormones.

Our own dinner this Thanksgiving will feature a “tofurky,” lentil roast, mashed potatoes, corn stuffing, stuffed squash, candied yams, cranberry sauce and pumpkin pie.

An Internet search on “vegetarian Thanksgiving” got us more recipes and other useful information than we could possibly use.

1. FlamingLiberal1
    FlamingLiberal1 - November 23, 2012 1:42 pm
    I made a turkey on Thanksgiving and SURPRISE! We didn't drop dead of foodborne illnesses or clogged arteries. We have sufficient leftovers to feed the family for a few more meals too. Tofurky is an abomination... if you don't want to eat meat, then why would you try and make your fermented soybean curd look and taste like something almost but not entirely unlike meat? Let a bean be a bean. Enjoy it as a bean. I may even join you. I like a good vegan recipe from time to time. But I don't care for subsitutes.
  2. skywatcher
    skywatcher - November 20, 2012 12:28 pm
    "Choose compassion and nobody gets hurt"...is that a threat? (lol)
    Curmudgeon - November 20, 2012 12:27 pm
    This Thanksgiving I will be eating dressing (made from whole wheat bread, onions, garlic,etc.), sweet potatoes, corn-on-the-cob, mashed 'taters. cranberry jelly, pumpkin pie, apple cobbler with vanilla ice cream.....

AND TURKEY.
  4. SerialThriller
    SerialThriller - November 20, 2012 10:50 am
    hehe..touche'.
  5. skywatcher
    skywatcher - November 20, 2012 8:51 am
    the founding fathers brought over butterballs from the motherland, so, by golly, that's what I'm gonna be eatin'!
  6. MtMadeMan
    MtMadeMan - November 19, 2012 7:43 pm
    Wasn't Alar (pesticide for apples) banned because of cancer fears? Fruit.
    Meat doesn't cause diabetes. Maybe excess fruit drinks like orange juice. Or that deadly plant bi-product sugar. Terrible stuff. Comes from beets and cane. Both plants. Is Nightshade considered a food borne illness? How about Ricine, comes from beans. And let us not forget all of those people who got sick or died because of salmonila contamination or ecoli. Wouldn't they be considered food borne deseases.

Oh, ... and I wouldn't trust Gupta for any information.

Life is moderation. Everything in moderation. And eating an all vegitarian diet is not moderation. It is science denial. Because science tells us we are omnivores. And we eat some meat.

p.s. Cows eat only plants and grains. Yet they produce fat full of cholesterol. Strange huh?
  7. concerned1
    concerned1 - November 19, 2012 5:20 pm
    Turkey WILL be the centerpiece on our table this thanksgiving. But it won't be store bought, so no worries about the steroids and other nasties. Ours will be a free ranging turkey surrounded by potatoes, sweet potatoes, stuffing, green beans, cranberries and rolls!!! And if I've been a good boy this year the Mrs. may also work up a desert or two for afterwards. With Ice cream. A bountiful season.
  8. Veg4Life
    Veg4Life - November 19, 2012 2:29 pm
    Heart disease, cancer, diabetes...all are primarily food borne illnesses (ask Sanjay Gupta of CNN). But if you do not care - no worries because it is your choice to live a healthy long life - or not.
    PS Plant based diets can help people survive and thrive after the daignoses of these diseases. Our bodies are amazing at healing if given healthy fuel.
  9. FlamingLiberal1
    FlamingLiberal1 - November 19, 2012 12:34 pm
    I think people become detached from where their meat comes from if they themselves are not involved with the harvesting. It's a substance in a plastic tray in a store, not the flesh of a once-living creature. I am not a vegan, but as a hunter I am keenly aware of what meat is, and I eat it sparingly as a result. I also am aware of my diet and try to eat healthfully. I doubt any meat-eaters will be rushing to buy Tofurky as a result of this letter (and honestly, if you don't eat meat then why would you eat pseudo-meat?). Biologically, we are omnivores. We evolved these teeth and this metabolism for a reason. But I think we could all pause to consider and give thanks for the animals that die to feed us, and respect that.
  10. MtMadeMan
    MtMadeMan - November 19, 2012 9:55 am
    Turkey Leftovers

Butter and toast a split Hoagie roll..
    Mix salad dressing (better than Mayo) and a little honey mustard.
    Spread thin layer on both Hoagie halves.
    Layer on thin slices of leftover turkey.
    Lightly salt and pepper.
    Add slice of Swiss cheese.
    Add thinly sliced Iceberg lettuce. (I like the yellow centers)
    Quarter slice dill pickle.
    Put sandwich, pickle and large amount of potato chips on platter.
    Open can of favorite beverage.
    Enjoy football game.

Be sure to save any other leftovers for the starving children of Vegetarians.
    Their unnatural diet leaves them nutritionally unbalanced.

p.s. Your body produces cholesterol, it is a natural product. Without cholesterol your joints would not be lubricated.

p.p.s. If turkeys were not so tasty they would be another animal on the endangered list.

11. cottonmathers
    cottonmathers - November 18, 2012 9:28 pm
    My point by point responce to silly vegetarian nonsence..
    1. First off I dont watch football so I cant speak on this point, i have no idea how eating turkey could ever affect a persons ability to watch a football game though.
    2. "You are what you eat" Who wants to be a carrot?
    3. Kick the vegetarian kid out of the family and dont worry about his absense, it mean more meat for the rest of us.
    4. I didnt even know there was a poultry hotline.... Is this real? Do they deliver turkeys cooked and ready to go?
    5. "Fruits and vegetables don’t have to carry government warning labels;" Thats because nobody is dumb enough to eat them...
    6. "You won’t sweat the environment and food resources devastation guilt trip;" Your right I wont sweat it, Ill eat that turkey and never even think twice about the enviorment, and the only food resources devastation that will concern me are the ones in front of me on the table, the turkey that I will be personally devastating in my mouth my only worry will be is there be enough left for seconds and the only guilt trip I will have to endure is not leaving room for pie.
    7. "You won’t spend a sleepless night wondering how the turkey lived and died" The only sleepless nights I have over turkeys are the ones the night before I shoot one.. And all I wonder about is where its currently living so I can find it and shoot it...
    8. "Your body will welcome a holiday free from saturated fat, cholesterol and hormones." My body actually welcomes saturated fat, cholesterol and horomones thats why I eat them...

Conclusion, your "tofurky" sounds like poo and Im very "thankful" I dont have to endure the smell of it on thursday, Happy TURKEY day!!!
  12. Veg4Life
    Veg4Life - November 18, 2012 11:51 am
    By the way. even "never-frozen MT organic" turkeys suffer terribly. Many so-called cruelty free farmers warehouse birds, ignore their illnesses, feed them food that would be best given to people (to rid MT of hunger)... Choose compassion and nobody gets hurt.
  13. Veg4Life
    Veg4Life - November 18, 2012 11:46 am
    We all have free will but with free will comes responsibility to do what is best for ourselves, our family, community and world. That is why most humans choose not to sleep with every single person they meet. Free will with food choice means I choose to be compassionate. I choose not to eat a turkey who is so stuffed full of hormones she is unable to stand up. I choose to feed my family healthy food free of animal protein that is a known to cause cancer. I choose to feed my family food that does not cause climate change - a huge percentage of climate change is caused by animal agriculture. People who learn the facts choose to eat more plant-based meals. People who are grateful choose compassion as a way of life every day.
  14. MtMadeMan
    MtMadeMan - November 18, 2012 7:41 am
    Obama is a vegitarian? Who knew.

Vegitarian is a choice. I say no. Instead I think vegitarians should try turkey this year. Every year they keep pushing their choice on us. I think it is time to push our choice on them.

After all we have too many turkeys in the world. Many post on the opinion page regularly.