Tea Party urges board to throw out draft health curriculum

2010-09-30T00:00:00Z Tea Party urges board to throw out draft health curriculumBy JIM WALKER - IR Your Turn Helena Independent Record
September 30, 2010 12:00 am  •

The Big Sky Tea Party has taken the position that the Helena School Board’s proposed ASCD Whole Child curriculum should be rescinded in its entirety on the following grounds:

- The process used by the Helena School Board is a direct violation of Montana State Constitution Article II Section 8 (Right of Participation) and Section 9 (Right to Know).

- ASCD Whole Child is directly associated with International Baccalaureate, or I.B., which is based upon United Nations’ established philosophies with an emphasis on development of “global citizens” while intentionally diminishing the importance of national heritage.

- I.B. education systems and the associated federal funding usurps governing control of the local school system away from local citizens and transfers it to federal agencies.

- The specific curriculum proposed by the Helena School District and the intent of I.B. systems violates individual parental rights and control to raise their children with the values and principles of their choice.

Therefore, the Big Sky Tea Party Association strongly urges citizens of the Helena area to insist upon cessation of any further attempts to implement the current health enhancement curriculum and also to remove any existing portions or segments of the ASCD Whole Child curriculum that may already be in place from the Helena School system.

Further, we urge the Board of Trustees to re-examine ASCD Whole Child and I.B. curriculum with an emphasis on researching and educating themselves on the negative impacts upon American heritage and culture. Should the Board of Trustees move forward with implementing the proposed curriculum, refuse to remove existing and terminate any plans for future expansion of I.B. style curriculum, the Big Sky Tea Party urges the citizens of the Helena area to use your power of the vote to begin systematically replacing the existing board members with candidates that will uphold traditional American and Montana rights, values and sovereignty.

Jim Walker is chairman of the Big Sky Tea Party Association board.

1. The Porter
    The Porter - October 08, 2010 8:06 pm
    Helenros, what makes you think I am a tea partier?
    I don't even know any of them! Not one!
    When you 'assume' you make an a......well you should know that one shouldn't you?
    And assuming that all parents would be mere sheep and just go along with any kind kind of crap you, your venomous pal gun, or the board could spew is just one more arrogant move on your part. The glass is cracking in your glass pedastal!

Stop interfering with the 'innocence' of other parents kids!
    YOU HAVE NO RIGHT!
    helenros - October 08, 2010 12:10 pm
    The Porter said: "helenros said on: October 6, 2010, 10:56 am "My experience is that I can tell my child whatever I want to tell him, but the misinformation he gets from his little buddies is more likely to sink in."That is mostly likely to do parenting style so that the opinions of friends hold higher status the family's!As a teacher that gives you a poor report card! "

I do gove him accurate information but if it's only coming from me then he's going to absorb the more strident message. If the school teaches what I teach then it reinforces what I've told him. Why do the TEA partiers want to keep kids ignorant?
  3. WalleyeHunter
    WalleyeHunter - October 07, 2010 9:36 pm
    JustDaFacts...Thanks...You're mostly right! I AM a whacko but I'm all over the board.
  4. AntiXenophobia
    AntiXenophobia - October 07, 2010 5:27 pm
    And any hope I had for the tea party just went out the door. Fiscal responsibility makes sense to me, and I would love it if the tp stuck to that platform. Now the tp is doing what screwed up the republicans a long time ago, which is making their highest priorities social issues like abortions and gay marriage. I am not willing to persecute gays in order to have a balanced budget, so the tp will not be getting my support.
  5. The Porter
    The Porter - October 07, 2010 1:59 pm
    Gun961960 said in answer to another website: "Of course I didn't believe him and have done some extensive digging and have thankfully found nothing so far. But the suspiscion is crazy!!" Who's got the paranoid tendencies?

You cannot come up with any 'legit' info about 'exactly' what is IN the curriculum (since the teaching materials supposedly haven't been chosen yet) your MO is to continue to personally bully anyone and everyone with a differing opinion.

Is bullying how you and the board intend to get this curriculum passed as well? Stop taking the issues (in your home life) out on the other families in this community. Stop standing on your diploma like it has 'magical' power to give you a higher status than parents and make you better and smarter then the rest of us. According to another poster, you, yourself said it was worthless!
  6. The Porter
    The Porter - October 07, 2010 1:39 pm
    helenros said on: October 6, 2010, 10:56 am

As a teacher that gives you a poor report card!

Sorry but you want accurate information for all the kids right?

Also it's evidence of why our district's; reading, writing and comprehension scores are so low!!!!

If you can't get it right at home, dont be running out it the streets 'strong-arming' the rest of us about what YOU think our kids need. "Most organisations have a serial bully. It never ceases to amaze me how one person's divisive, disordered, dysfunctional behaviour can permeate the entire organisation like a cancer." (Some adjectives for you): "self-opinionated and displays arrogance, audacity, a superior sense of entitlement, displays a compulsive need to criticise whilst simultaneously refusing to value, praise and acknowledge others, their achievements, or their existence (like this video you posted on YOUTUBE about your own friends' 12 yr old son titled "fishing fail "), quick to discredit, haughty, high-handed, and a know-all, projects own weaknesses and faults upon others...." http://www.bullyonline.org/workbully/serial.htm

Fix it AT HOME first and them you 'might' have some kind of example to lend. But by your inconsistent stands and blog on your website, I highly doubt it! Your own kids must be able to see through the veil.

And by what's written in the IR, the evidence suggests that the only 'screaming mobs' are you and yours!
    helenros - October 06, 2010 10:56 am
    My experience is that I can tell my child whatever I want to tell him, but the misinformation he gets from his little buddies is more likely to sink in. So I like the idea that the school is going to present the same things I tell him. That abstinence is the only certain way to avoid pregnancy or an STI, but if he chooses to have sex anyway, he needs to use a condom. Every time. And probably some spermicide as well.
  8. TruthAboutIB
    TruthAboutIB - October 06, 2010 6:41 am
    BKM123 said: "As communications director for ASCD, I want to point out two inaccuracies that were included in this commentary:ASCD’s Whole Child Initiative does not produce, endorse, or publish curriculum. Our initiative has five basic tenets: We believe that every child, in every school should be healthy, safe, engaged, supported, and challenged. Please visit www.wholechildeducation.org or www.ascd.org for more information. ASCD’s Whole Child Initiative is not directly associated with the International Baccalaureate (IB) program. For a full list of our Whole Child partners, please visit www.wholechildeducation.org/about/partners/ Sincerely,Barbara MichelmanASCD director of communicationsAlexandria, VA "

Ms. Michelman,

In your statement, you claim that ASCD does "not endorse curriculum". Before communicating such a statement, it would behoove you to search the ASCD website to become familiar with the articles in which ASCD did exactly that:

Furthermore, one of the ASCD curriculum reform presenters, Heidi Hayes Jacob, served on International Baccalaureate's Tri-Association of Central America, Mexico and the Caribbean, hardly a non-partisan representative:

Not only that, on one of the ASCD blogs, one of your members decided to go after me and my website (IB critics) personally as fearmongers:

You attempt to bury ASCD's strong partisan endorsement of IB shall not go unchallenged.

9. TruthAboutIB
    TruthAboutIB - October 06, 2010 6:30 am

Dear Ms. Michelman,

According to your above statement, ASCD does not "endorse" curriculum. Before you communicate statements such as this one, it would behoove you to search the ASCD website. The following links from ASCD all represent the organization's "endorsement" of IB:

Furthermore, one of ASCD's curriculum reform presenters, Heidi Hayes Jacob, served with International Baccalaureate's Tri-Association of Central America, Mexico and the Caribbean.

Not only that, a blog on the ASCD website goes after me, a critic of IB, personally:

and concludes with:
    "For more on issues of educating for democracy and global citizenship, visit Democratic Education on ASCD.org, and join the discussion at the Democratic Education group on ASCD EDge."

Your shallow attempt to distance your organization from IB cannot be allowed to stand.

10. blkirish
    blkirish - October 06, 2010 1:41 am
    dietz1963..to you I say BRAVO!!! Well thought out and well said.
  11. dietz1963
    dietz1963 - October 05, 2010 3:59 pm
    Helenros, what most of us have been saying is we don't want sex ed taught at a particular age, not all together. Besides, sex is a personal thing, how is teaching sex ed in school going to prepare them for the work place? And if I understand you correctly, if this isn't taught in school for your child then your child is going to get pregnant/get someone pregnant of get an STD? Seriously? So what happens after all that education and they still get pregnant/get a disease, sue the school? Sort of sad state some parents are in wouldn't you say?

I've had to laugh time and again when many of us have been called "ignorant" by not wanting this cirriculum thereby making our kids ignorant. Here's what I say to that, you folks must be ignorant or unknowledgable about sex if you can't teach this to your own kids and need someone else to do it. How in the world did we ever get out of the dark ages without everything being taught by a school.

This so called "fact based" study, I just have to LMAO. Hey you remember some years ago when paddling got eliminated don't you? Some "fact based" study said folks prone to being spanked turn out violent? Well, I got spanked back in the day, am far from violent. Conversly here we are some 35 years later since the practice was more or less outlawed, there is much more violence in school then ever before cause teachers can't "touch" a student... Yea, that worked out well. Oh and you remember also some time ago there was a "fact based" study to have everything disinfected and during sickness, docs automatically gave some antibiotic? Oops, more people got sick cause their natural immunity began to fail and now a "fact based" study has said not to disinfect everything and doctors will shy away from giving antibiotics?

When all this is said and done, heck, why stop at sex ed? How about we get the school to teach our kids how to get dressed? There's already parents that can't make their kids breakfast and throw a fit if bus drivers don't get their kids to school in time for breakfast. Heck, why not just send our kids to some sort of school right out of birth to learn how to talk/walk etc...Can't believe how weak some helenan's have become regarding their kids.
    Curmudgeon - October 05, 2010 11:24 am
    Chuckle-chuckle-guffaw-snort, "Sodom Insane"! Wow, Purple, how do you ever come up with such original ideas as making a joke of somebody's name in order to express your disdain? I bet nobody reading the I-R -- make that nobody in Montana -- ever heard of such a brilliant and witty idea.

Har-har-har-har-har --- oh, my sides are hurting from laughing so hard!
  13. Purple
    Purple - October 04, 2010 4:24 pm
    Curmudgeon said: "PURPLE says, "We have yet to hear from the Teachers Union on where they stand. By default, since they haven't stated they oppose it, they must support it."I have never previously publicly stated that I oppose the dictatorial military government's house arrest of Aung San Suu Kyi in Myanmar (Burma).Therefore, (going by Purple's "logic"), by default I must support it.Correct, Purple?"

The same logic also applies to those who were opposed to our invading Iraq and deposing Sodom Insane. They supported what Sodom Insane and his thugs did to their own people, because by us not deposing him, he would have continued his evil ways.
    Curmudgeon - October 04, 2010 11:40 am

Therefore, (going by Purple's "logic"), by default I must support it.

Correct, Purple?
    helenros - October 04, 2010 8:54 am
    What about MY right as a commie pinko liberal nutjob to have my child educated with fact-based curriculum? Should the screaming mob be able to overrule what I want for my kid?
  16. JUSTDAFACTS
    JUSTDAFACTS - October 03, 2010 10:11 pm
    WalleyeHunter... I know you are one of those darn wacko liberals but that is funny!!! :)
  17. bhallinan
    bhallinan - October 03, 2010 10:54 am
    @ IJBird said on: October 2, 2010, 2:26 pm: I think teachers can comment -- just not publically on behalf of the district.

@ Purple said on: October 1, 2010, 1:41 pm: I think fingerprinting and background checks are a required for employment in the school district. Are you suggesting that educators should have no rights to privacy? Perhaps you can model this for us. Please post your name, address, phone number, results of your recent background check, all bank accounts, credit card transactions, relationships, daily habits. Please list over the last twenty years all relationships you have had with those under 18, their names, addresses, times and dates of contact. I would like to follow up publically with you and privately with your listed contacts to make judgement on whether you are a closet child molester pretending to a patriotic conservative.
  18. IJBird
    IJBird - October 02, 2010 2:26 pm
    Purple, I don't know where the Teacher's Union stands but I do know one teacher asked to have her name removed and it was, another teacher wants her name removed and now is being harassed about it, and several others want theirs removed but are afraid to ask because of the one teacher being harassed about it. I know I asked five teacher's at my sons school what their opinion on the draft was and they ALL stated the exact same thing. "We were told if anyone asks that we don't have an opinion and if you have questions to go to the principal and talk with them". Three of them have tenure and made quite an emphasis on "told" and the other two don't and seemed very nervous to even talk about the subject. What now? Are the teachers worried about their jobs if they voice their opinion? Why would they have to be TOLD they don't have an opinion? What happened to their freedom of speech? For or against they all have a right.
  19. Bojangles
    Bojangles - October 02, 2010 9:49 am
    Bravo Walleye! Very funny stuff..... and somewhat frightening in its poignancy.
  20. The Big L
    The Big L - October 01, 2010 3:07 pm
    WalleyeHunter - I don't care which side of the party aisle you are on - that was some funny stuff there!
  21. Purple
    Purple - October 01, 2010 1:41 pm
    Curmudgeon said: "Purple, the rights of both the TEA Party, and of the Unions, to voice their opinions do not include a right to be free from criticism, in either case.The robust competition of ideas is part of America.Get over it."

Agreed, as long as criticism is evenly divided between all.

We have yet to hear from the Teacher's Union on where they stand. By default, since they haven't stated they oppose it, they must support it.

Parents have a right to know the details of the personal life of Dr. Messinger and all educators to ensure that their children are not being targeted by closet child molesters in the classroom.

Curmudgeon - October 01, 2010 9:47 am

The robust competition of ideas is part of America.

Get over it.
  23. Will Harmon
    Will Harmon - September 30, 2010 10:57 pm
    Regarding Mr. Walker's letter, one of the real benefits of freedom of speech, as we enjoy it in America, is that we learn what other people are thinking and what beliefs and values they want to promulgate. This becomes even more important as people band together for political influence. In short, it's *good* to know what's on the Big Sky Tea Party's collective mind: I'm now even more determined to vote on November 2nd to help ensure that more rational, reasonable heads prevail.
  24. WalleyeHunter
    WalleyeHunter - September 30, 2010 10:24 pm
    The Tea Party is only getting started. Here's some of the things they still plan to incorporate into our school curriculum:

-The so-called "sorcery" known as electricity
    -How to dunk a witch
    -Book-lernin'...it's for sissies
    -Homeschool your child through medical school
    -Make your own wooden money
    -Bill Clinton killed Elvis, JFK, and Colonel Sanders
    -What to do when falling off the edge of the earth
    -Is your commie neighbor also a "revenuer"?
    -Asbestos is simply an expression of the First Amendment
    -Why the earth needs more nukes
    -Global warming would make elves at the north pole happy
    -Broken bone? Forget the school nurse, just suck it up, sissy
    -Gym class replaced by "ornery face contest"
  25. BKM123
    BKM123 - September 30, 2010 3:21 pm

Sincerely,
    Barbara Michelman
    ASCD director of communications
    Alexandria, VA

26. Purple
    Purple - September 30, 2010 2:47 pm
    Wow, the only response by supporters is to belittle someone who disagrees with them. Oh the humanity of it all!!!!!

Since when did the TEA Party surrender their right to voice their opinion?

Funny isn't it how when the UNIONs voice their concern about something, their opinion matters!
  27. claudius
    claudius - September 30, 2010 1:48 pm
    It would appear that the John Birch Society in Montana has managed to reinvent itself as the Big Sky Tea Party. Only sillier.
  28. captbob
    captbob - September 30, 2010 10:45 am
    I saw this at the school board event. I fail to find one valuable nugget of fact or good intent in this manifesto. The author(s) may as well just run around with tinfoil hats to protect from CIA death rays and smearing oatmeal on their faces to disguise them from Russian spy satellites and the UN troops who daily take pictures of patriotic Americans from the black helicopters stationed over by the airport.
  29. Jack-Ruby
    Jack-Ruby - September 30, 2010 10:33 am
    Maybe if these people were given comprehensive sex education in school they would have known beforehand why they were laughed at for wearing tea bags on their heads.
    Curmudgeon - September 30, 2010 9:58 am
    Jim Walker: is the Big Sky really falling? I didn't know that -- I'd better get out my tinfoil hat.

T. Busch: what is "disreguard"? I can't find it in my dictionary.
  31. Terry Busch
    Terry Busch - September 30, 2010 9:18 am
    - The specific curriculum proposed by the Helena School District and the intent of I.B. systems violates individual parental rights and control to raise their children with the values and principles of their choice.

Jim Walker is SPOT on.

This arrogant disreguard for the rights of Parents is at threat to our freedom and liberty!

Take the high road, do the right thing.
    Stop this UN based agenda and restore the Montana State Constitution.
  32. gun961960
    gun961960 - September 30, 2010 8:09 am
    Well considering the behavior of some of your "leaders" as of late, forgive me if I don't buy into your perceived "intent" of ANYTHING. You seem like a bunch of paranoid individuals who prance around screaming about less government, that is unless it involves the gov getting involved in the personal lives of consenting adults.
  33. Bojangles
    Bojangles - September 30, 2010 5:58 am
    So this is what the MT Tea Party stands for? What a bunch of horse-doo. I have been hopeful for this group - I felt that any time citizens were interested in becoming engaged and educated it had to be a good thing.

Tea Party has lost credibility in my mind.
  34. Terry Busch