Proposed curriculum is inappropriate

2010-06-27T00:00:00Z Proposed curriculum is inappropriateBy RICK and KATHY DeMARINIS, Your Turn Helena Independent Record

We are opposed to the sex education curriculum intended for children in kindergarten through high school. We read the draft document that is posted on the district’s web page, specifically the sections covering the reproductive system (page 36), human sexuality (pages 45-50), and sexually transmitted infections (page 54). We encourage everyone in the community to read the document, even if you don’t have children attending public schools. What they are taught will affect us all.

We are opposed to this curriculum for several reasons. First, the material is not age-appropriate. In fact, most of it is not appropriate at any age. Many children would find aspects of this curriculum very confusing and disturbing. Children, especially those in elementary school, are still very young and impressionable.

Second, the classroom is being used to push a political agenda held by a small minority of the population. In first grade the concepts of homosexuality will be introduced; in third grade, same-sex marriage. By fifth grade, our children will be taught the difference between heterosexual and homosexual relationships, the various ways individuals can engage in sexual activity, and the body parts that can be used. In seventh grade our children will be told that abortion is acceptable because of the Supreme Court’s decision on Roe vs. Wade. In high school, erotic images in art will be discussed. Every attempt should be made to advance academics in the classroom, not a platform that sexualizes our children. The classroom should not be used as a vehicle for fostering acceptance and tolerance of moral behavior or lifestyles many parents oppose.

Third, material contained in the proposed curriculum is not consistent with the mission statement and goals of the board of trustees. Teaching this material in the classroom is not a “wise use of resources,” it does not foster an educational experience that is “dynamic, relevant and meaningful,” and it doesn’t contribute to an environment that is “emotionally safe” for our children.

Fourth, our teachers should not be asked to relinquish valuable class time to teach material many parents would find inappropriate or offensive. By volunteering our time in the classroom, we’ve seen how hard our teachers work to make sure children succeed academically and socially. Our children have been blessed with amazing teachers who are extremely competent, supportive and caring. To place further constraints on their time and ask them to introduce material they are not comfortable with is wrong.

Fifth, the responsibility for teaching sex education lies primarily with parents, not the school system. Saturating our children with inappropriate material in the classroom, especially at such a young age, will not deter them from becoming sexually active. The primary focus of this curriculum is not to present information that will help our children make healthy choices. Rather, it teaches them that anything and everything is OK, and it further undermines the effort of parents who are trying to raise responsible kids.

Finally, we resent the loss of innocence that many children will experience as a result of this curriculum. Our daughter looks forward to recess so she can play four-square and basketball and climb on the jungle gym with her friends. While we haven’t shared the specifics of this proposal with her, she told us today that she is concerned about what recess will be like next year. Her eyes filled with tears as she said: “Now kids are going to spend their recess talking about guys and girls and dating. Why won’t they just let us be kids and have fun?” That is common sense and wisdom coming from a 10-year-old.

The DeMarinises are residents of

Helena.

dolphind3 - July 27, 2010 1:36 pm
    Gun; It has been awhile since the last comment so I am not sure if you will get this. But saying you are venomous is not name calling it is only an analogy of how you address people in your posts. When you say that people are uneducated and in real life have no idea as to the level of their education that is name calling. There are other examples but I am not about to take the time to go back and look them all up. I am always amazed at how people will talk on a thread and usually would never do that face to face. And by people of your ilk I mean trying to butt into other peoples lives when you should just be worrying about your own kids. Maybe your the lady that turned my wife and I into child services when we took our son to the E.R. following a sleding accident. She caused hours of problems and anguish when we should have been focused on our injured son. Look I know you think that people need saving and that you are going to swoop in on your noble white steed and save them(It's called white knight syndrome). But the truth is that people like you only cause more problems than you solve, maybe you feel better for it but it is a false feeling that only exists for the betterment of your day and no-one elses. If you want to help, then start up a class to teach adults how to talk to their children if you think that need is there. Then they can sign up voluntarily for this information that is so needed. My wife and I would help you do that in anyway we can.
    We help alot of people so it will be nothing new to us.
  2. helenamomofthree
    helenamomofthree - July 23, 2010 9:46 am
    Well, as most of you (Gun, cogitate & Duke)figured out. The majority of parents in Helena DO NOT APPROVE this proposed curriculum. But unfortunately, as Dietz suggested, the minority will likely win this one. The curriculum will pass with all that "crap" in it.
    I wonder what the school district would do if all the parents that strongly oppose this curriculum actually pulled their kids out of public schools! Then where would they get their funding?!
    My son will never set foot in a public school if this passes. Those of you who agree with this sexualization of our youth are welcome to call me any kind of name you'd like. I have no contempt for people who choose to live whichever lifestyle they feel makes them happy. But, our schools are not the venue to push your agenda on everyone else. And don't try to pretend or convince me that there is no agenda . . . there is! The homosexual community will not rest until every one in America (and the world, for that matter) "approves" of their deviant lifestyle and accepts it as equal to a monogamous heterosexual relationship!
  3. Penelope24
    Penelope24 - July 06, 2010 9:35 pm
    to thedukeofhelena: well said!
  4. gun961960
    gun961960 - July 02, 2010 11:17 am
    dolphin, "venoumous" I like it. I have been called a lot of names, but this one I don't mind. I like that you are telling me to do a little less name calling...all while calling me names. LOL I don't know where I called you a name, maybe you could point that out. I gather from your posts that you are not very educated in this particular subject. You keep claiming that someone is going to teach that it is OK to be gay. What you are in fact doing is playing word games. They will be taught that a human being can love a person of the same gender or a person of a different gender. Now if you or your children want to take that information and decide that is OK or that is BAD (which I am assuming you have taught your children) than that will be for them to decide. It is NOT OK to call people gay, homo, fag...wouldn't you agree? Have you walked down the hallway at your childrens school sir? They see someone wearing a funny shirt and they yell out, "that shirt is so gay".
    People of my "ilk" are professional teachers who spent years (5 in my case) going to college to educate ourselves on this topic. Oh no, a professional teaching my kids...run? What is your profession Dolphin? I never said you don't parent your children, what the...are you talking about? I am not looking for respect sir, certainly not from you, thanks tho.
  5. cogitate_truth
    cogitate_truth - July 02, 2010 10:17 am
    dolphind3:
    I never said you don't want to teach your children. I said "If you don’t teach them ..." You may be prepared to teach your children, but I personally know many who are not. Do you think they will teach their children so that "someone who wants to take advantage of their ignorance" can't. I know they won't.
    dolphind3 - July 01, 2010 11:36 pm
    Gun;
    Thank you for assuming that my kids are not educated nor myself, nothing could be further from the truth. My kids know plenty about the discussed topics and most of it they learned from my wife and I, as it should be, not from people of your ilk. I can not understand why you keep saying that my wife and I don't parent our children, we do a great job of that as I am sure you do for yours. But I don't want you or anyone else raising my kids, if you believe something then teach it to your kids....not mine. I have never said that you are uneducated although you are definately on the venomous side. As for where in the draft does it say it is ok to be homosexual? I seem to remember reading that by a certain grade they will be taught that it is ok for a man to love a man and a woman to love a woman. Obviously you don't think that means that it is ok but to me and many others that is exactly what it says and means. Try doing a little less name calling and mabe people will show you a little more respect on here.
  7. jlarsen
    jlarsen - July 01, 2010 8:23 am
    cogitate_truth said: "Ignorance is bliss.Ignorance is dangerous.Ignorance is for people who are incapable of handling knowledge.I watched my sister’s birth when I was 6 years old.I knew exactly how she was conceived sex, sperm, egg, baby, not a magic seed.I knew exactly where she developed, in my mother’s uterus, not her belly.I knew exactly how she would come out through my mother’s vagina, not stork deliveryI knew she would be nourished by milk from my mother’s breasts.I had been prepared for this day since I was 5 years old.As a prepubescent, (48 years ago) I was still hearing other boys and girls referring to their private parts with euphemisms and embarrassment.Boys were always trying to get girls to show them their “thing.”Girls did not even know the proper name for their vagina. These girls were in for the shock of their lives, menstruation.When I was in my early teens, most of the teens I knew could not understand why they were feeling “strange” about the opposite sex. They began to experiment. Many of them learned hard lessons that way.I was abstinent far beyond my teenage years.I raised my daughter knowing all of this and she was abstinent far beyond her teen years.Many of her contemporaries had babies before they reached the age of majority. Why did this happen to them? They were “sheltered” from reproductive knowledge.Now people who will not educate their own children, want to make sure no one else does.I have news for those people. If you don’t teach them and you refuse to allow professional educators to do it for you; someone who wants to take advantage of their ignorance will. "

Very well put! Thank you!
  8. gun961960
    gun961960 - June 30, 2010 11:04 am
    dolphin you continue to blather on about supposed teaching that "homosexual sex is normal" and I have yet to see where they have written that they will teach that homosexual sex is normal. This is just your paranoid dillusions going overboard. And we as a society are paying the ultimate price for your lack of knowledge on the subject. Not just your lack of knowledge and willingness to pass this information on to your kids, but most parents lack of knowledge and willingness. Here is a very interesting website that will detail out to you just how much money we spend on STDs and teenage unwanted pregnancies each year.
    It has been estimated that the public costs associated with teen birth in the United States were at least $9.1 billion in 2004, an annual average cost of $1,430 per child born to a teen mother (http://www.advocatesforyouth.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=419&Itemid=177) Please note they site all their sources on this website too. Please lets deal in reality and facts, I have sited mine, please site yours.
    dolphind3 - June 29, 2010 10:59 pm
    Cogitate;
    Where in any of these comments did anyone say that they don't want to educate their own children? That is the problem we don't want the school system teaching personal beliefs and that it needs to be left up to the parents. Let's not make things up. Oh and I and my famliy can handle knowledge, but it should be up to my wife and I what they learn about certain things and when.
    dolphind3 - June 29, 2010 10:55 pm
    jlarsen; I do know the current curriculum, I have two kids who recently went through it, one of which I sat through. Your right about one thing it is the same as what I went through in the 5th grade many years ago. You are wrong about the differences. The wording about homosexuality does not belong in there. I thank you for your assumption of what I know, Maybe I should start saying that I doubt everything you say that you are educated enough to understand.
    Look my family has values that have been passed down from generation to generation and I will continue to pass along these core values. I am sure your family values even if they are different from mine. I will not ask you to change yours so don't ask me to accept values that my family doesn't believe in(except for my homosexual brother) Look sex ed as it stands is fine with me. Introducing it to a 6yr old and I will disagree. Try to tell my child that homosexual sex is normal and I have a problem with that. Raise your kids the way you like but don't tell anyone else how to raise theirs.
    There is wording in the draft that is totally agenda driven and that is not right.
  11. cogitate_truth
    cogitate_truth - June 29, 2010 4:42 pm
    Ignorance is bliss.
    Ignorance is dangerous.
    Ignorance is for people who are incapable of handling knowledge.

I watched my sister’s birth when I was 6 years old.

I knew exactly how she was conceived sex, sperm, egg, baby, not a magic seed.

I knew exactly where she developed, in my mother’s uterus, not her belly.

I knew she would be nourished by milk from my mother’s breasts.

I had been prepared for this day since I was 5 years old.

Boys were always trying to get girls to show them their “thing.”

Girls did not even know the proper name for their vagina.

These girls were in for the shock of their lives, menstruation.

I was abstinent far beyond my teenage years.

12. jlarsen
    jlarsen - June 29, 2010 3:15 pm
    dolphind3 said: "Gun; And who taught your children the things they know since they were old enough to ask? You did. And that is exactly as it should be. Duke; pushing beliefs goes both ways, If you believe it then teach it to your kids. It does not belong in school. There is nothing wrong with the current curriculum and the way it is taught. It leaves the meat of the teaching to the parents."

Do you even know what the current curriculum is? I seriously doubt that you do, if you did, you'd know that it is not that different than the one proposed. This couple is complaining that their 10 year old daughter is going to lose her innocence next year in fifth grade by having to learn the names of male and female genitalia. This (sex ed) is something that has been taught under the current curriculum in fifth grade for 25 years now, if not longer. Under the current curriculum the tearful 10 year old girl mentioned in the article would still be subject to learning about penises and vaginas.

13. jlarsen
    jlarsen - June 29, 2010 3:11 pm
    Give me a break, what a ridiculous and manipulative letter, the authors should be ashamed. If it is up to parents to teach children the names of reproductive organs, then it should be up to parents to teach history and mathematics and every other subject as well, and public schools should be shut down. With a few minor changes this is esentially the same curriculum that has been taught for OVER 25 YEARS! The first round of shall we say "graphic" sex ed has always been taught in 5th grade. I learned it when I was 10/11, in the Helena school system TWENTY-FOUR YEARS AGO. Thanfully, the majority of Montanans agree with the proposed curriculum, and the narrow minded view espoused here is in the minority, so the curriculum will proceed, and all the whiners can just learn to live with it.
  14. dietz1963
    dietz1963 - June 29, 2010 11:19 am
    Duke, explain to me why anytime a minority group isn't "getting their way" it has to be prejudice or bigot. Definition of a bigot "stubborn and complete intolerance of any creed, belief, OR OPINION that differs from one's own. Seems to me you could be classified as a bigot.

What most of this is really about, we (and others) differ on opinion as to at what age and what type of cirriculm regarding sex should be taught. And the general question I have always had, with more arching problems with stress, depression, bullying, obesity and lack of strong academics being more of a "health" issue then sex, why not expand the cirriculum there BEFORE teaching sexuality. Even then, WHY are aspects of sexuality being taught in school?

I personally have no problem with your opinion or anyone elses cause, its an opinion. But I do feel the age should be appropriate to the material and don't see any reason for concentrating on terms that may offend or bully homosexuals when there are litterly dozens or more terms not specific to homosexuals that are as much or more painful to the general student population. What expert dubbed calling someone gay as disrespectful or hurtful? If one is gay, why is that disrespectful or hurtful, cause it would be a fact. In fact, don't gays go out in groves protesting on the street for their gay rights? Seems like that's pride to me, not hurtful or disrespecful. For straights, heck, I was called gay when I was young regardless of girlfriends. I just answered, yep, I'm happy since happy is also a definition of gay. I hated being called a geek or 4 eyes though but learned the old "sticks and stones rule".
    dolphind3 - June 29, 2010 10:53 am
  16. thedukeofhelena
    thedukeofhelena - June 29, 2010 9:27 am

Of course I was correct. Look at the people who had something crappy and negative to say about my comment. Yes, of course. You know best. I should have known and kept my mouth shut. Homosexual agenda???? Are you kidding? What person in their right mind would CHOOSE to be homosexual? Do you think I did? Well, I didn't. It's apparent who is 'quite simple' and who isn't. If you have to attack and say nasty, bigoted crap, then you might consider shutting your uneducated mouth. Of all the gall!

17. useyourhead
    useyourhead - June 28, 2010 1:44 pm
    The common suggestions seems to be to remove our children from the public school system. Funny, they still want our tax dollars! It would sure be something if all of us parents that are actually doing our job did remove our children and were allowed to also limit or eliminate our tax dollars that go to pay for the public schools. Just guessing, but I bet they would be in a world of hurt. Plain and simple.
  18. dietz1963
    dietz1963 - June 28, 2010 12:25 pm
    Gun, you aren't busting my bubble. I live in the real world, not fantasy land. And as usual, you are so into pushing your agenda you didn't answer my question (s). So lets try this, if our youth is having so much problems that more then ever there is even more of a push for added sex education...how is it that me and others like me survived our childhood? Seems to me MORE education hasn't worked. In fact, it seems MORE sex is going on then ever before because of the added education. But again, is it REALLY the case? Here YOU go:

This is the link on a detailed report from the Montana Department of Public Health and Human Services Public Health and Safety Division Family and Community Health Bureau
    Women’s and Men’s Health Section. The report clearly shows an OVERALL DECLINE in pregnancies, not a raise.

The statistics you've shown are impressive, but like all statistics it depends who's extracting them and can be manipulated to show "the sky is falling" when in actuality, it isn't.

I respect Dukes opinion on the subject, even yours. My opinion this entire time has been to question the age timeline of the cirriculum being taught more so then the cirriculum itself. But playing devils advocate whereby you both have eluded to concerned folks should take their kids out of the Public school system if they don't like the cirriculum, guess what, that door can swing both ways. If the cirriculum is not passed and you don't agree with that, you also can take your kids out of the public school system. YOU ALSO can do the home school thing. Otherwise (using the same verbiage) you're forcing YOUR beliefs and opinions on others and making kids learn what YOU believe to be correct or not correct.

But don't worry Gun and Duke. If they don't approve it, my guess is the homosexual community would have a field day with that dubbing the Helena Public School system "prejudice" and it'll end up getting approved. Just suspecting that, I predict the cirriculum will go forward. Majority doesn't rule any more, the minority does. And people with bachelors/masters degrees specific to the area know more then us common folk so it won't matter what we think anyway cause we're too stupid to know better, right? Lets face it, we don't live in a right or wrong society anymore. We live in a "whats politically correct or not" society.
    Curmudgeon - June 28, 2010 11:05 am
    TheDukeOfHelena says he totally respects Rick's & Kathy's opinion. I don't, not even a little bit. However, I do respect Rick's and Kathy's RIGHT to have their ill-informed opinion. Any possible "loss of innocence" will be really small potatoes to the loss of innocence that will result if the kids are left in ignorance.
  20. 1rosary
    1rosary - June 28, 2010 10:31 am
    I completely agree! It is up to the parent to teach their children. And for the people who disagree, i/e dukeofhelena, no. We do NOT have to remove our children from the public school system. That seems to be the "easy answer" many of you people give. We pay taxes just like everyone else for these schools so we also have the right to voice our opinion over what is going to be forced onto our children. You seem also to forget that we are basically "forced" to go with this school system as parents are not allowed the tax credit if they home school. I am sure many parents would welcome home schooling if they were able to get this credit and not have to worry about the financial burden on top of it. Until then, you are more than welcome to remove your own children out of the system if you don't like parents disagreeing with YOUR views on what should be taught. Furthermore, I have read the curriculum they want to enforce. It clearly states as part of it that they want to teach children that others should NOT force THEIR views onto them as it is unacceptable, however this is exactly what they are trying to do....and esentially what YOU also want. If parents want their children to "learn" as you put it, THEY need to teach them. That is THEIR job as a parent not someone elses. Leave the school to concentrate on academics and not THEIR values or beliefs. That, dukeofhelena, "is quite simple".
  21. gun961960
    gun961960 - June 28, 2010 10:13 am

Dietz...I hate to burst your bubble, but here you go. HOW MANY MONTANA TEENS BECOME PREGNANT EACH YEAR?  1,675 pregnancies were reported in 2006 among teenagers, including 18 to girls under the age of 15.  In recent years, Montana’s teen pregnancy rate has been relatively stable. However between 2005 and 2006, Montana’s teen pregnancy rate increased 3.2%; the teen birth rate increased 9%; and the teen abortion rate decreased 13%.  In 2006, 33% Montana teens who had a pregnancy indicated that they had a prior pregnancy. WHAT DOES PREGNANCY COST MONTANA TAXPAYERS?  In SFY 2000, the cost to Montana taxpayers for a mother and child on FAIM, food stamps, Medicaid, and WIC averaged $14,341 for the first year.  Half of Medicaid’s costliest “High Cost Babies” in FY 1994 were to teens at a cost of $1,307,366. WHAT ARE THE RESULTS OF TEEN PREGNANCIES?  In 2006, 77% of Montana teen pregnancies resulted in live births, approximately 23% of teen pregnancies resulted in abortions, less than 1% in fetal death. HOW MANY TEENS ARE UNMARRIED WHEN THEY GIVE BIRTH?  Non-marital births to teens represent 24.6% of non-marital births in Montana; the remaining 75.4% of non-marital births were to women 20 years or older.  The percentage of teen non-marital births (compared to all teen births) rose from 46% in 1981 to 85.6% in 2006. WHAT ABOUT THE FATHERS?  In 2006, the father was at least four years older than the mother for approximately 27% of the teen births in Montana. The age of the father is unknown for one in four births. WHAT PERCENTAGE OF MONTANA TEENAGERS ARE SEXUALLY ACTIVE?  In 2007, 46% of high school students reported having had sexual intercourse at least once. This number increases based on the students grade level, from 28% for 9th graders to 59% for 12th graders.  Two out of three reported using a condom during their last intercourse.  14% of Montana high school students have had sex with four or more partners in their lifetime. WHAT EFFECT DOES CHILDBEARING HAVE ON A TEEN’S HEALTH AND ECONOMIC STATUS?  Teens are more likely than women 20 years of age or older to have: late or no prenatal care; low birth weight babies; and babies who die within the first year of life.  Teen parents are likely to be less educated, have more children, have more non-marital births, and have more unintended births than women who postpone childbearing. WHERE DO WE WANT TO BE?  No single approach can full address or solve the complex problem of teen pregnancy.  Early and comprehensive teen pregnancy prevention strategies remain exceedingly more cost effective than the choices available once pregnancy occurs. I really wanted you to pay special close attention to the following sentence, However between 2005 and 2006, Montana’s teen pregnancy rate increased 3.2%; the teen birth rate increased 9%; And since we had 333 teen pregnancies between 06 and 08 I suppose the answer to your question, "Ive heard many people comment how they wish this was taught in their young age. My question to them is, since it wasn't, did you end up having a child as a teenager as a result of not having the knowledg?" IS....a resounding 666 YES answers. I will take the liberty of answering for all of them as I am sure they are too busy working at the local gas station, fast food restaurant, making a whopping $7.50 per hour to support their infants, most of them single parents by now I'm sure sucking the life out of our tax dollars to make ends meet. So Dietz, you clearly are of the opinion that this solely based on this boards corrupt homosexual agenda. This board that consists of teachers, health educators, doctors, nurses, and parents are really just out to indoctrinate and "make" all of our kids GAY.

22. gun961960
    gun961960 - June 28, 2010 9:56 am

Pg. 36...grade 1 - 3 Introduce basic reproductive body parts (penis, vagina, breast, nipples, testicles, scrotum, uterus) Understand that a baby grows in a woman’s uterus Concepts will be introduced by a school nurse, Health Instructional Coach or physician prior to grade 4 OH NO...run for the hills, you children will be traumatized. My kids are 7 and 8 and they have known all of this since they were old enough to ask questions. I have one boy and one girl so I guess they noticed their bodies were different and they asked questions, maybe they are just more advanced? To my knowledge they haven't been showing off their advanced knowledge to their friends at recess either. Grade 3 we are going to add; Understand that the ovary produces eggs and the testicles produce sperm whoooo...scary stuff? Grade 4 is really going to mix it up with.... Identify physical changes associated with puberty, Phew..I can't imagine my kids needing to know anything about this. And..."Understand that men produce sperm their entire life and that women are born with all the eggs". YIKES, what out para professionals of Helena, prepare for a mass outbreak of sex talk at recess time. From there on out, they are discussing things like how to maintain a healthy reproductive system, the importance of monthly self-examinations to check for certain cancer signs, production and release of reproductive cells, the impact of heredity and lifestyle choices have on the reproductive system. EVERYTHING on this pg is age appropriate and above all else completely FACTUAL. And you are actually suggesting that "most of it is not appropriate at any age." You have got to be kidding me. I think I am going to have to agree with the Duke and suggest that you too, immediately remove you children from public school and might even suggest you lock them in their bedrooms. Obviously you have already put the fear of God (literally) into your poor 10 yr old, shame on you! I could go on and on, but basically this is a total exaggeration of the premise of what they intend to teach. This is a systematic distortion of the facts and nobody should read this and believe anything that has been written. Where are they teaching that it is "acceptable" to have an abortion? R u kidding me. It is legal to have an abortion, yes, but teaching that it is a legal option and that it is acceptable are two very different things, and once again Rick and Kathy, you really should be ashamed of yourselves. Having an abortion is about as "acceptable" as the IR allowing your  distortion of the truth to be published in their paper. I might suggest you take this class with your daughter, as it appears you could use it!

23. lovingmontana
    lovingmontana - June 28, 2010 7:56 am
    I couldn't agree more!!
  24. dietz1963
    dietz1963 - June 27, 2010 1:08 pm
    Well said, and I think the last sentence from your child says it well.

I've heard many people comment how they wish this was taught in their young age. My question to them is, since it wasn't, did you end up having a child as a teenager as a result of not having the knowledge? I know I didn't. I had the basics, sex between a man and a woman (or guy and girl) causes or can cause a baby. I didn't need intricate details to know that. Did you end up with some sort of sexually transmitted disease? When you were "called names" or teased, did you need any sort of a teacher or expert to tell you those names you were called hurt you?

How many of us were "taught" something as a kid but figured our elders didn't know what they were talking about and we ended up doing exactly what we were told not to? We experimented didn't we? Just to see if what we were being told to do or not to do was really the case? Just like our kids will regardless. And quite frankly, the more knowledge we pass on at an age earlier then they are ready, I see more an increase of sex at an earlier age then conversly.

You folks concerned with rise in sexually transmitted disease or pregnancy by not having this new cirriculum, do you realize according to "factual" statistics by the Department of Public health that these things have steadily declined since 1992? What do you all base your fears on other then if the cirriculum is not passed the homosexual community will be up in arms? To that end I say the "pendulum" has swung a completely different direction. Where "majority" ruled its now "minority" rules. No middle point what so ever. And why? Cause anytime the "majority" doesn't agree then the minority says its cause of prejudice. Which is painting with a wide brush at best.

Put an ant or anything under the microscope and naturally it looks big, frightening, intimating. This cirriculm pushed by the experts or the minority would have us believe that by it not happening there will be more sex, more sexually transmitted disease, less tolerance toward the homosexual community. But honestly, will it?

Lets make education appropriate for the age. And experts be honest, its it really for health reasons or for children of homosexual parents to better cope with the fact that their parents are different then other parents? Should that not be those parents responsibility?
  25. Bojangles
    Bojangles - June 27, 2010 12:10 pm
    Rick and Kathy you are absolutely correct. Our schools should never be used to educate and inform about REAL truths. They are only an environment for half-truths and ignorance. We should by all measures use schools to shelter our kids from the real world they are quickly learning about regardless of the bubbles we try and protect them with. Schools are no places for real world discussion and asking difficult questions. They are places to pretend things that scare our parents don't actually exist.

Why would we want to address why Molly has two Moms. Its much better that our kids either pretend its not happening - or better yet, we can teach them to point fingers and judge people who are 'different'.

Sex and reproduction is one of the most natural of all our reflexes - right next to eating and sleeping. We could choose to educate kids, or just keep on pretendng that the're not getting pregnant in the back of your chevy mailbu when they turn 16 and can finally get out from under your thumb.
  26. checolbar
    checolbar - June 27, 2010 9:54 am
    Exellent Your Turn!
    I couldn't agree more!
  27. billhaslip
    billhaslip - June 27, 2010 8:26 am
    Thanks, You are right on the money!!!!!
  28. Mtspirit
    Mtspirit - June 27, 2010 8:20 am
    Well said!
  29. thedukeofhelena
    thedukeofhelena - June 27, 2010 7:31 am
    Then what really makes sense is that you remove your children from the Public School System, plain and simple. Don't take the opportunities to learn away from other kids. If you don't like the curriculum and/or don't agree with it, remove your children and home school them. It's quite simple. Otherwise, all that you're doing is trying to cause pandemonium where there shouldn't be any. I totally respect your opinion. However, I don't think you should take the opportunity to learn away from the other kids and cause grief to the parents who agree with this curriculum. If you find it inappropriate, fine. Take your kids out of the Public School System. I'm not trying to be a jerk here. I'm trying to make sense of this. Don't you think the best answer is to home school then? Otherwise you're forcing YOUR beliefs and opinions on others and taking away other kids' chances to learn what is and what is not correct. Okay, now you can all flame and attack me for speaking up if that makes you feel better.