Pedestrian hit by car in Safeway parking lot

2012-05-03T00:00:00Z Pedestrian hit by car in Safeway parking lotBy ANGELA BRANDT Independent Record Helena Independent Record

A medical crew with St. Peter’s Hospital transported a woman for treatment of non-life-threatening injuries after she was struck by a car in the Safeway parking lot Wednesday afternoon.

The woman, whose name has not been released, was walking with her grocery cart in the lot when a vehicle backing up hit her, according to Randy Ranalli, an officer with the Helena Police Department.

Ranalli said the injuries did not appear to be serious and the woman was conscious when authorities arrived. Police, firefighters and medical personnel were called to the store at 611 N. Montana Ave. just before 4 p.m.

Officers questioned the middle-aged man who was driving the Subaru Outback that struck the woman. The incident remains under investigation. No citations were immediately issued.

1. FlamingLiberal
    FlamingLiberal - May 07, 2012 8:45 am
    Pedestrians and bike riders need to be aware that even if they have right-of-way, being in the right is no consolation when you come off second-best in a collision with a car. I do my best to watch for people and apparently am doing something right, as I've managed not to run over anyone in over 25 years of driving, but it's frustrating when obliviots just walk in front of or behind your car when you are moving. I got cursed at and flipped off when a fast-moving bicycle traveling on the sidewalk against the flow of traffic at a blind corner nearly ran into the side of my car. Jaywalking is never ticketed in this town, and neither is not stopping for a pedestrian in a crosswalk.
  2. martih07
    martih07 - May 04, 2012 10:45 am
    5thgen said: "Sorry the lady got hit, don't know if this is the case in this incident, but I have had people walk directly behind my car while I was backing up and just assume I am going to see them. Cars have blind spots and people walking need to assume that the driver hasn't seen them until the driver makes some gesture that they were seen. A few seconds of waiting can save a lot of pain for everyone, this go's for both the drivers and the people walking. It's called defensive driving and also can apply to folks walking. "
    Exactly! So many times I've started slowly backing up and suddenly someone will appear behind my car - often times I can't see who's coming because of trucks and tall vehicles parked beside me blocking my view, so even though I'm backing out slowly, these people STILL just walk right behind my car. I understand that pedestrians have the right of way - but there are circumstances that call for the pedestrian to wait until it is safe. Stopping for a few seconds to let someone back out is not only courteous, but smart! There are just too many blind spots in a car when backing up - and this type of accident occurs as a result. As long as people on foot and vehicles have to share the same roads, it would be nice if everyone watched out for each other instead of taking the "entitlement" route.
  3. 5thgen
    5thgen - May 04, 2012 7:42 am
  4. GreatWhite
    GreatWhite - May 03, 2012 9:45 pm
    jlarsen asks; "I wonder where a citizen could get their hands on those spike strips that Law Enforcement uses?"

I bet you could find them online!

Everyone's in to big a hurry...society has taught us that we need to rush everywhere, and since we became that "me first" mentality society, most everybody expects 'the other person' to give to what they want. People nowadays are mostly inconsiderate and self absorded. Rude and disrespectful.

The new legacy of mankind. Welcome to it. "If it makes ME feel good...to hell with the rest!!" Isn't that the new motto?

5. jlarsen
    jlarsen - May 03, 2012 7:44 pm
    @nelliemade, it is rather peculiar, Helena never used to be this way. Pedestrian accidents used to be fairly rare here until the past year or so. Of course people drive like ********** in this town now, going 35-45 miles per hour in 15 MPH school zones, ignoring children standing in crosswalks, and blasting down residential avenues with 25 mph speed limits at 60+ mph in the middle of the night.

Honestly, the way people drive just down Boulder Ave. alone, I'm surprised we don't have 1-2 hit and run deaths each day.

6. jlarsen
    jlarsen - May 03, 2012 7:39 pm
    DeltaEpsilonKappa said: "DPrpl - I posted that very same question but guess the IR didn't like it. What I said was not to worry about being hit in this town - it's swept under the carpet for the most part. I'd like to know why the police haven't made an arrest in the hit and run that killed the homeless man also....they supposedly had the car impounded so why do long to make an arrest unless - oh my god - a coverup????"

Maybe you and DPrpl01 should read the rest of the articles published by the IR TODAY. It was a 17 year old girl, she's to appear in juvenile court.

7. DeltaEpsilonKappa
    DeltaEpsilonKappa - May 03, 2012 1:13 pm
  8. nelliemade
    nelliemade - May 03, 2012 10:50 am
    What is with this town? I've never seen so many hit and run, to many pedestrians being hit in any other city. Sounds like both motorists and pedestrians alike need to get a little smarter, and start watching out for each other.

I don't think there's been a month gone by in the last two years where someone on foot hasn't been hit!
  9. DPrpl01
    DPrpl01 - May 03, 2012 6:44 am
    Speaking of pedestrians being hit, what ever happened to the case of the hit and run that killed the homeless man on Custer Ave? The police know who the person is that struck the man, but no one is giving any names or details about it. Do they want to sweep this under the table for some reason? Somebody has to know something or have they named the person and I just missed it? Would love to know what's up with this case.

mother-tile