Circ activation contest

East Helena men face felony assault charges

2011-07-19T00:00:00Z East Helena men face felony assault chargesBy ANGELA BRANDT Independent Record Helena Independent Record
July 19, 2011 12:00 am  •

Two East Helena men face felony charges of aggravated assault after an early Sunday morning altercation that left a man with serious injuries.

The alleged victim was transported to the hospital, where he received reconstructive surgery for a broken eye socket and nose, according to documents filed in Justice Court on Monday.

“It should be noted that this male’s face was very swollen, both of his eyes were nearly totally swollen shut, his lips were swollen, he had several lacerations across his face, he had what appeared to be puncture wounds in his neck in several places (which were actively bleeding), he had blood running across the top of his head, he had blood emanating from his ears, and blood coming from his nostrils,” the arresting officer wrote in court documents.

East Helena police were dispatched to the report of several men in an altercation on West Main Street and then located a man bleeding from the face at a nearby gas station.

Officers took Michael Daniel Lemay, 24, and Manuel A. Luis, 23, into custody following an investigation. Both men remain in jail in lieu of $25,000 bond.

Luis told police he and a handful of people were hanging out at a residence on Main Street when a man, identified as David Wayne Baize, according to court documents, began using “Native American racial epitaphs towards the others in the room” in spite of the fact that the alleged victim is American Indian himself, according to the affidavit.

Baize, Luis said, then began to “feign” punches at him, but at one point struck Luis in the eye.

Luis told police he has been a professional boxer for the last 10 years and when he was punched, his “training kicked in and I punched him back in the face with a right.” The two men then began wrestling on the ground.

Lemay invoked his right to silence, court documents note.

A third suspect also is mentioned in documents but no further arrests have been made. The victim told police he was attacked by three men “separately and simultaneously.”

In addition, one of the men allegedly stole the victim’s computer.

Reporter Angela Brandt:

447-4078 or angela.brandt@helenair.com

1. reallyagain
    reallyagain - August 11, 2011 11:51 am
    Really, why was micheal ever let out of prison in the first place for committing a similar crime? The poor guy almost died in that beating as well!!!
    dolphind3 - July 26, 2011 10:28 am
    @Native thank you for clarifying that. Your original post led most of us to believe you were speaking of more violence as riamh stated. I still stand by my comments about race though. There are good and bad of every race and to stand by someone based upon race is ignorant at best. When someone makes comments such as yours I will call them on it and you sir are not going to stop me.
  3. blackdog
    blackdog - July 24, 2011 3:38 am
    I wish people would understand ...It's not what you are called that matters..It's what you answer to that counts.
  4. Riamh
    Riamh - July 22, 2011 6:14 pm
    dolphind3 said: "@Native, You would fight for your race? Do you realize how bad that sounds and how pointless that is? There are good and bad of every race out there. If someone calls you a racial slur and you do nothing but smile and say have a nice day that reflects better on your race and really badly on the person that said it."

People who have been persecuted by "the majority" tend to be rather defensive. It's understandable, in some cases its the difference between survival and death. I understand cree native's feelings well.

cree native said: "@dolphid3 yeah i would fight for my race but did i say i would get physical, no. so dont tell me how bad i sound or how pointless it is for saying i would with out knowing who i am. i fight with my voice and my actions, not my fists."

I commend you for being strong enough to stand up for yourself and fellow natives, yet gentle enough to believe in non-violence at the same time. I do understand dolphind3's misunderstanding of your statement however, initially I thought perhaps you meant you'd use violence to defend your race. Once you specified what you meant, it made your position clear tho. I just wish it wasn't necessary for ANYONE to need to defend their race. We're all humans being.
  5. Riamh
    Riamh - July 22, 2011 6:02 pm
    steeline said: "helena123 maybe you shouldn't read my posts if they upset you. I can see that you don't get it. We have to get America Right."

steeline, I didn't see any place in this article where entitlements were mentioned at all, so where are your rants about entitlements coming from? All your assumptions about people just serves to show us all what an Archie Bunker you really are! Keep up the posts, I need all the laughs I can get.
  6. cree native
    cree native - July 22, 2011 3:59 pm
    @dolphid3
    dolphind3 - July 22, 2011 11:01 am
  8. cree native
    cree native - July 21, 2011 10:15 pm
    again steeline im going to call you out. how would you make america "right"? dont you not even live in helena?

about the article. i really have nothing to say i would fight for my race if someone said anything bad about it, always have always will. ive seen things like this happen in helena alot while in middle and high school. this guy got messed up but honestly it doesnt supprise me. its good there finally getting it in the papers.
  9. zip
    zip - July 21, 2011 7:58 pm
    If you don't accept the wisdom of steeline, you won't get America right.
  10. luvpups
    luvpups - July 21, 2011 7:18 pm
    steeline said: "It seems there are some folks that are offended by some of my thought provoking comments and fail to grasp the content of the meaning of the message. That is unfortunate for them. Take my comments anyway you wish. However, when you resort to name calling I conclude that you are a frustrated underinformed liberal individual. I say the because, name calling, is what liberals resort to when they attempt to articulate there emotional points of view. We have to get America Right. "

yea umm, i dont know about thought provoking, maybe just judgemental and its unfortunate that you dont seem to grasp that concept, oh and say what you want the majority of people on here see you for what you are
  11. steeline
    steeline - July 21, 2011 2:25 pm
  12. Kitty82
    Kitty82 - July 20, 2011 11:52 pm
    To my knowledge I believe that professional fighters have a rule. You DO NOT fight outside the ring/training arena. Apparently the accused missed the class that covered that... and perhaps the one that taught self discipline. Self defense is one thing. Giving someone a brutal beating because you didnt like their opinions is another. It takes MUCH more power to WALK AWAY.
  13. Tiger Woops
    Tiger Woops - July 20, 2011 7:15 pm
    PEOPLE! PEOPLE! PEOPLE!
    Have you not yet figured out that 'perp' and 'steelie' are the only two on here that know what's good for everyone?
    My gawd, they have a solution for all that is wrong with society. Why, their comments about all of the "entitlements" in Helena is the reason we have so many of 'this kind' of people is most certainly evidence; despite the fact that we have no more to offer than any other community in the state, this is 'logic' (?) enough for them and their cadre.

Let's build 'more prisons and less low income housing' ... hell, who could argue with that.

Do away with tactical response teams that are here to make our community more safe.

Come on steelie, you and the perp file for public office .... lets see what you have to offer, other than BS and snipe and carp comments... what a pair of losers!
  14. thedukeofhelena
    thedukeofhelena - July 20, 2011 6:18 pm
    Absolute utter stupidity. When will humans ever learn that violence solves nothing? Go get a job or volunteer for some philanthropic organization instead of sitting on the couch watching the violent foolishness on TV, playing violent video games and drinking the ever ubiquitous and totally legal alcohol.
  15. montana_field
    montana_field - July 20, 2011 3:46 pm
    ditto Helena 123
    evidently i also don't get steeline's incessant gibberish...but it sure is annoying that he thinks he actually thinks he represents Montana
  16. Fifth Generation
    Fifth Generation - July 20, 2011 3:13 pm
    ditto Helena 123
  17. steeline
    steeline - July 20, 2011 1:53 pm
  18. helena123
    helena123 - July 20, 2011 12:53 pm
    steeline said: "We have well publizised entitlement programs in Helena/Montana. The word is out and they come from all over to get the benefits, no questions asked. It is a sign of the times. We can't build low income housing fast enough and never will. We need a new county jail to handle the criminal elements that come here. We have to restore the "American" dream."

Who said anything about any of these men being in our state for entitlement programs? You seriously need to get with the times and stop stereotyping people and assuming you know their life story! I am so tired of reading your clueless posts! And I'm not defending anyone in the article, just annoyed that you are quick to blame the less fortunate!
  19. Riamh
    Riamh - July 19, 2011 9:50 pm
    dolphind3 said: "I get tired of all of the sensless violence. It takes a bigger man to walk away and when you have professional training you are more apt to walk away. Some of the most disciplined people I know are pro fighters. So this guy is a poser"

For once you and I see eye to eye on something. I agree with you 100%.
  20. OhMyGosh
    OhMyGosh - July 19, 2011 5:03 pm
    funny that maunual said he was a trained fighter! i went to school with him and he was never in any training, what a loser! maybe he should have been taking care of his child not parting at some house, Dead beat dad and regular POS! at least if he goes to prison his child can get some kind of support from him!
    dolphind3 - July 19, 2011 3:52 pm
  22. Riamh
    Riamh - July 19, 2011 1:22 pm
    freebsky, laptop? I see no mention of laptops in this story whatsoever, or stolen goods for that matter. Sounds to me like alcohol was probably involved in this story. while part of your comments, I agree with.. the very last part:

"I can't quite figure it out, but there is a huge section of the population in Helena that is really rough and trashy. Does it go hand in hand with being uneducated and poor? I don't know..."

I find that to be pretty ignorant. I'm not educated, and I don't make lots of money. I am however a gentle human being. I resent your innuendo that lack of money and education makes people "tough and trashy". That is certainly not the case here.
  23. Buckeye
    Buckeye - July 19, 2011 10:58 am
    I believe the reporter's intent was to use epithet as opposed to epitaph, a catachresis? I could be wrong.....
  24. steeline
    steeline - July 19, 2011 10:14 am
  25. observant_1
    observant_1 - July 19, 2011 9:49 am
    Hmmmmm, let me guess, Alcohol was a factor in this. I would hope at least there is a catalyst for such stupid behavior all around. a truly trained fighter would have responded differently had I trained this man I would have been supremely disappointed as I hope. And what is with the "victim"? tell me please these guys were drunk.
  26. SDL3368
    SDL3368 - July 19, 2011 9:35 am
    freebsky - I had to read this story again after reading your post, and it doesn't say who stole the laptop, or that there was even a laptop to steal. The police are basing their investigation on the statement the victim made. Also, to assume that the victim was on the ground cruled up into a ball might not be really accurate. It sounds like there was probably alcohol or something else involved here. If he was using racial slurs and acting like a tough guy, he may have to bear a little bit of responsibility here. When you hit someone, they are allowed to defend themselves. Sometimes if you mes with the bull, you get the horns.

I am in no way saying that if he was beaten by more than one person, or kicked while he was down he deserved it! No one deserves that! If however, he instigated the altercation, and was beated up by someone stronger and faster, then he needs to admit that he was at fault too. Since the investigation is on going, and this article doesn't answer all questions, I don't think any of us can make any judgements. To call these people animals is pretty harsh under these circumstances.

There are always three sides to a story. The victims side, the alleged suspects side, and the truth. In a case like this one, all involved are going to try and make themselves look better.

I also take offense to you saying there is a huge section of the population in Helena that is really rough and trashy. Do you know all of these people, or are you just basing your opinion on the way they look or where they live? How do you know that these people or uneducated? Because they don't look like you? They don't act in a way you deem acceptable? They don't live in a nice house or in a good part of town? I am just wondering.

27. Gods_Infidel
    Gods_Infidel - July 19, 2011 9:21 am
    You're right freebsky, you don't know. Being uneducated and poor does not go hand in hand with violent activity. The most violent persons I've come across in my 'civilian' life are usually the most well off. Usually it was because they felt more entitled and 'better' than other people, and usually felt the need to get the attention of two working parents, through whatever means necessary, often violent activity. I grew up very poor, and would still be considered uneducated by you most likely, seeing as I have not completed a bachelors level degree program. No, you're gonna have to look a little harder to uncover the reason why people go to these levels of violence. I fear it won't be that easy.
  28. freebsky
    freebsky - July 19, 2011 12:50 am
    Yea, Right... "Then his training kicked in." There is no doubt the victim was beat repeatedly while down. You don't stand through a beating like that, you fall down. To have blood coming out of both ears, nose, scalp, and eye socket, you were almost undoubtedly savagely beat while curled up in a ball on the ground. Is that part of your training, tough guy?? What BULL.

I wonder if his "boxing" training also kicked in and that is why he stole a laptop.

IF these men are guilty of what it appears they are guilty of, I hope they NEVER NEVER NEVER see the light of day again. Savage animals like this are what needs to be in our prisons, not all the politicaly motivated arrests that currently swell the ranks of the incarcaraed like non-violent, non-weapons drug offenders.

It is surprising how this town has such a large and frequent element like these people and these types of crimes.

Activate subscription button gif
20under40
Subscribe to HelenaIR.com Email Newsletters

Breaking news, contests, morning headlines and more. Sign up for updates from the Independent Record

Deals, Offers and Events