get it home page promo

Governor vetoes bill allowing concealed carry without permit

2013-04-15T11:57:00Z 2013-04-15T12:10:25Z Governor vetoes bill allowing concealed carry without permitThe Associated Press The Associated Press
April 15, 2013 11:57 am  • 

Gov. Steve Bullock has vetoed a bill that would have allowed any person eligible to own a firearm to carry a concealed weapon without a permit within city limits.

House Bill 304 was one of four bills the Democratic governor vetoed Friday. The concealed-carry bill passed the Republican-led Legislature mostly along party lines.

Bullock released a statement Monday saying if the bill's logic were applied in other situations, people would be able to drive, fly airplanes and hunt without the necessary permits.

Supporters say the measure would give city dwellers the same privilege as rural residents by allowing them to carry concealed weapon within city limits.

The governor also vetoed three other bills that tinkered with administrative rulemaking and the process for determining the financial impact of proposed legislation.

Copyright 2015 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

(7) Comments

  1. Concerned Voter
    Report Abuse
    Concerned Voter - April 16, 2013 12:49 pm
    Flaming Liberal - the citizens of Montana already can carry a concealed firearm in about 90% or Montana WITHOUT a permit. This has not been a problem in Montana, so why not the other 10%? This bill did not allow concealed permit holders or anyone else to legally carry in places that are illegal to carry a firearm now ie: places that sell, dispense and serve alcohol, pubic buildings etc. Viaible guns make people nervous. If I am a person qualified to carry a firearm, I would get a lot less grief if I concealed my firearm walking down the streets of one of Montana's major cities then I would if I had my firearm strapped onto my side for everyoneto see. The criminals in our society are not going to abide by the law anyway, so you are only taking liberties away from the law abiding people of Montana.
  2. FlamingLiberal1
    Report Abuse
    FlamingLiberal1 - April 16, 2013 11:17 am
    The people who self-identify as qualified to carry concealed weapons without going through the training and permitting processes are precisely the ones you do NOT want carrying concealed. We have open carry in Montana, and that's fine. But allowing concealed with no certification whatsoever? NO.
  3. Concerned Voter
    Report Abuse
    Concerned Voter - April 15, 2013 10:11 pm
    Governor Bullock. You know very well that your reasons for vetoing this bill are lies. This bill NEVER suggested that the Concealed Carry process be done away with. Even with the passage of this bill, citizens of Montana that wanted the ability carry a concealed weapon in another state, could still apply for and receive (if qualified of course) a concealed carry permit in Montana. Reciprocity would not be affected. Montanan's can already carry concealed in about 90% of this state without a permit. That has NOT been a problem. This bill would only have allowed concealed carry in the other 10% of the state that citizens cannot currently carry a concealed weapon without a permit. Shame on you. I have ZERO confidence that you would do anything to stick up for Montanan's second amendment rights!!!
  4. steeline
    Report Abuse
    steeline - April 15, 2013 1:44 pm
    What has changed by the Governors veto of thebill to allow concealed weapons without a permit. The bad guys still carry without a permit and probably stole the gun they are carrying. The bad guys are the ones who cause all the trouble. The good guys would not make one ioda of a difference in law enforcement or violence.,except they might be able to survive an attack by a bad guy or gal. Get over" gunphobia" . You have a lot more serious issues to be terrified of in this country.
  5. caribouboy
    Report Abuse
    caribouboy - April 15, 2013 1:26 pm
    This article is linked in 8 different spots on the front page of the IR website?

    Is that overkill or incompetence?
  6. FlamingLiberal1
    Report Abuse
    FlamingLiberal1 - April 15, 2013 1:17 pm
    This is a brave thing for Governor Bullock to do, and I'm so glad he did.
  7. turner
    Report Abuse
    turner - April 15, 2013 12:26 pm
    Thank you Governor Bullock So glad the voters had the wisdom to put you in office.

Civil Dialogue

We provide this community forum for readers to exchange ideas and opinions on the news of the day. Passionate views, pointed criticism and critical thinking are welcome. Name-calling, crude language and personal abuse are not welcome. Moderators will monitor comments with an eye toward maintaining a high level of civility in this forum. Our comment policy explains the rules of the road for registered commenters. If you receive an error after submitting a comment, please contact us.

If your comment was not approved, perhaps:

    1. You called someone an idiot, a racist, a dope, a moron, etc. Please, no name-calling or profanity (or veiled profanity -- #$%^&*).

    2. You rambled, failed to stay on topic or exhibited troll-like behavior intended to hijack the discussion at hand.

    3. YOU SHOUTED YOUR COMMENT IN ALL CAPS. This is hard to read and annoys readers.

    4. You have issues with a business. Have a bad meal? Feel you were overcharged at the store? New car is a lemon? Contact the business directly with your customer service concerns.

    5. You believe the newspaper's coverage is unfair. It would be better to write the editor at editor@helenair.com. This is a forum for community discussion, not for media criticism. We'd rather address your concerns directly.

    6. You included an e-mail address or phone number, pretended to be someone you aren't or offered a comment that makes no sense.

    7. You accused someone of a crime or assigned guilt or punishment to someone suspected of a crime.

    8. Your comment is in really poor taste.

    9. Don't write a novel. If your comment is longer than the article you're commenting on, you might want to cut it down a bit. Lengthy comments will likely be removed.
Add Comment
You must Login to comment.

Click here to get an account it's free and quick

mother-tile

Follow the Independent Record

Great Helena Businesses

Clipped From The Newspaper