Circ activation contest

Tea party bears arms at rally

2011-03-05T00:07:00Z 2011-03-05T00:12:11Z Tea party bears arms at rallyBy ANGELA BRANDT Independent Record Helena Independent Record
March 05, 2011 12:07 am  •

The Lewis and Clark Conservative Tea Party event brought about a couple of dozen supporters to the steps of the Capitol on Friday to keep attention on the right to bear arms, but by all appearances there were more people were carrying cameras than guns, which participants were encouraged to bring.

“People can disagree with the right to bear arms,” said Lewis and Clark’s Conservative Tea Party Executive Director Tim Ravndal. “That’s the great thing about America. We have the rights to keep and bear arms and are exercising that right.”

The event was held on a Friday so legislators would have a chance to speak. The state Legislature is considering multiple gun-rights bills, including one to allow guns into prohibited places such as bars and government buildings and another to allow concealed carry in cities without a permit.

“It’s not for hunting squirrels – it’s for protecting our rights,” said Rep. Derek Skees of Kalispell.

Rep. Alan Hale of Basin said the tea party has been like his family.

“I would like to see this crowd a whole lot larger,” said Hale, who added that tea party members are working people. “I hope I can continue to do the right things and vote the way I should.”

Ravndal, who was ousted as leader of the Big Sky Tea Party for questionable comments regarding homosexuals, formed his own group, which organized Friday’s gun rally. He told those who gathered at the Capitol he was honoring “those in here doing the right job.”

Another purpose of the rally is to promote legislation that calls for the nullification of federal laws, he said.

Trey Cathey traveled from the Billings area to attend the rally. He proudly displayed his semi-automatic rifle, the same one he brought to a similar event at the Capitol last year. That rally was on a Saturday in March and about 200 people attended.

“It’s hard to protect if you don’t have your Second Amendment rights,” said Cathey, who added that he was happy with the turnout and especially pleased with the number of legislators who spoke.

Organizers received permission for participants to carry unloaded, secured weapons to the Capitol grounds, where firearms are usually prohibited.

“I call it our Power Point presentation,” Ravndal said. “It does speak volumes when people are carrying guns.”

Travis McAdam, executive director of the Human Rights Network, said he was pleased the rally was sparsely attended and hopes the turnout was commentary that people are not supporting the tea party.

With the urging of the Human Rights Network, more than 100 people e-mailed the Department of Administration asking that guns not be allowed at the rally.

“The department definitely heard our message,” McAdam said.

The rally went on with guns and without incident.

Ravndal said the rally was directed at the Legislature and he felt his messages were sent loud and clear.

“I think we did exactly as anticipated,” he said after the rally concluded.

The Associated Press contributed to this story.

Reporter Angela Brandt: 447-4078 or angela.brandt@helenair.com

1. JUSTDAFACTS
    JUSTDAFACTS - March 13, 2011 6:47 pm
    abcdef said: "Bullies, cowards with guns. Scare the women and children, intimidate anyone who won't bow down to them. Just the kind of people the Republicans want. The rich are getting richer while the Tea Party supplies the diversion. "

And just who was bullied? Please tell us about those who were intimidated. I don't agree with what the protesters did but I just love how you have to make up crud to support your position.

2. roi_ratt
    roi_ratt - March 13, 2011 5:23 pm

I'm pretty sure that intimidation with a weapon is a crime and I'm pretty sure that the Police (who were on scene the whole time) would have arrested anybody using a weapon to intimidate another person.

I bet one of those "bully cowards" would go down fighting to protect your life when some whack job who didn't "get it his way" at Burger King decides to come back and go bonkers.

These folks are probably the last people you need to be concerned about having guns. I'd be more worried about radical leftist Marxists like Jared Loughner getting a gun than I would be one of these guys. It is not the known threat that gets you for you have prepared for it. It is the unknown threat from the direction you never expect with the suddeness of impact that dominates which you should fear.
  3. abcdef
    abcdef - March 13, 2011 4:11 pm

The rich are getting richer while the Tea Party supplies the diversion.
  4. roi_ratt
    roi_ratt - March 13, 2011 11:48 am
    I agree Ros; if I have a "cause" or "issue" it's the Second Amendment - without it, we would have none of the others. We would not have had the means with which to resist the Brits. There would be no "We the People..." were it not for people with guns. I'm not for unlimited ownership - Mogadishu has proven that model fails, but RKBA is vital to our nation.

I'm not sure this demonstration was the best way to convey that - maybe it was - I don't think there is a right or wrong answer to that. After all, it was a handful of "anti-government militia kooks" carrying guns around "playing Army" on a field in Lexington, Massachusettes that sparked the American Revolution with the famous, "shot heard round the world".

I think it is sad now that those Patriots who fought for the freedom and good of all and those who honor and genuinely aspire to be like them in modern times are condemned by people who would not have the abilty to make such condemnations were it not for the very people they now condemn.

AntiXeno says that s/he has not seen a gun shoot anything that has protected our freedom; it was guns that /created/ our freedom and preserve it today with the guns in the arms of our modern military.

People tend to forget those parts of history and see the relationship of how it all ties in to their own existence.
    helenros - March 11, 2011 8:17 am
    roi_ratt said: "AntiXenophobia said, "While I have never seen anyone with a gun shoot anything which would protect my freedoms"And with so little, you have said so much about your values."

Ben Franklin said something about this: "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." I am not eager to give up my rights simply because I haven't needed them. That said, everyone has the right to be an idiot, but I think these Tea-Partiers are abusing the privilege.
  6. roi_ratt
    roi_ratt - March 10, 2011 1:09 pm

And with so little, you have said so much about your values.
  7. JUSTDAFACTS
    JUSTDAFACTS - March 09, 2011 8:10 pm
    TheWalrus said: " ...why do you think it's a good idea for a firefight to break out? You said " I know it is anecdotal but I can site MANY times what you fear, (a shootout) has happened."

Your so silly...read the next sentence. Nice try at taking things out of context though.
  8. JUSTDAFACTS
    JUSTDAFACTS - March 09, 2011 8:04 pm
    Curmudgeon said: "HEY, I'M MORE MACHO THAN YOU ARE -- SEE THE SIZE OF MY GUN?(Ask any psychologist which part of the human male anatomy a gun subconciously symbolizes.)"

Wow...with women being the fastest growing segment of the firearms market, just what does that say? Maybe they are making up for a little size issue...you know, like being 100 pounds lighter than that drunk down the road or weaker than that druggie looking for cash for his next score. Just a little compensation thing....

And your thinking a 1911A1 pistol is a phallic symbol scares me a bit...uh...either they look nothing alike or I need to see a doctor...roflol!

9. jkearns
    jkearns - March 08, 2011 11:55 am
    Agent Smack said: "I'm all for gun rights and own many firearms myself. But this kind of 'rally' makes all of us responsible gun owners look like ignorant hicks. "

I am also a gun owner and am disgusted, embarrassed and ashamed that I might possibly be lumped in with these morons. Gay biker pirate indeed. I agree with the MHRN that their request to bring weapons onto government property should have been denied. What idiots!
    Curmudgeon - March 08, 2011 11:34 am
    HEY, I'M MORE MACHO THAN YOU ARE -- SEE THE SIZE OF MY GUN?

helenros - March 08, 2011 8:03 am

Too true! As a matter of principle, I DO believe in the second amendment, but events like this give me serious concerns. Fortunately, there weren't apparently very many people attending the "rally," so we can be hopeful that this is nothing more than the lunatic fringe.
  12. abodox33
    abodox33 - March 07, 2011 11:53 am
    This party would have much more credibility if it focused it's efforts towards fiscal issues and less on social issues. If they intend to refer to themselves as consitiutionalist, they ought to abandon their traditionalist/religious views on social issues. While I actually agree with some of their views on fiscal issues, I think this group is a complete joke due to their hypocrisies on social issues. They are the extreme religous right party under a different name...
  13. Agent Smack
    Agent Smack - March 07, 2011 11:29 am
    I'm all for gun rights and own many firearms myself.

14. Jack-Ruby
    Jack-Ruby - March 07, 2011 11:12 am
    There have now been more comments to the IR article then actual tdrankers at the rally. Was lady knight of the gun there?
  15. AntiXenophobia
    AntiXenophobia - March 07, 2011 10:32 am
    These tea partiers talk like they are protecting our freedoms with their guns. While I have never seen anyone with a gun shoot anything which would protect my freedoms, I have seen evidence of wholesale killing of road signs in this state. Montana has shot road signs on nearly every rural road in the state, thanks to the responsible folks like these gun rally nuts.
  16. TheWalrus
    TheWalrus - March 06, 2011 9:59 pm
    JUSTDAFACTS:

Your examples do not show "crazies who thought a few people with firearms were going to break out into a firefight at the capital." Maybe it seems that way to you, but a more fair reading suggests people were laughing at the paranoia of those at the rally. Maybe the fact that you misinterpreted some good-natured jesting as "crazies" who thought "a firefight" would break out is a symptom of a larger underlying disorder. Also, the fact that the rally didn't strike you as an over-reaction to an imaginary threat. That could indicate something you might want to get checked out.

Just sayin'.
  17. JUSTDAFACTS
    JUSTDAFACTS - March 06, 2011 8:13 pm
    TheWalrus said: "JUSTDAFACTS asks: "Ok, where are all you crazies who thought a few people with firearms were going to break out into a firefight at the capital?" Good question. Where are they? And why did you imagine them?"

honeygetm'gun said on: March 4, 2011, 9:19 am: With any luck, no-one will get seriously injured. Chances are, it'll be a tea-partier shot by accident.

Imp___ said on: March 4, 2011, 12:10 pm: Yeah, because suggesting guns be brought to a political rally is such a brilliant idea. What could possibly go wrong!

Tiger Woops said on: March 4, 2011, 12:50 pm: Let's hope that all of these tea-gaggers have passed the 'self-evaluation standard' as to whether they are mentally competent to have a gun, much less bring it out in public places.
    dreamer said on: March 4, 2011, 8:39 pm: It does not matter if you are left or right....This is a crazy and frightening idea! Get a grip Tea Party!!!!
    mthayseed said on: January 12, 2011, 12:26 pm: I can just see it; "I felt that I was in danger, so I had to shoot them."
    Bojangles said on: February 3, 2011, 7:12 am: Why don't we just settle this down at the OK at high noon?
    TrustButVerify said on: February 2, 2011, 6:15 pm: COMMENT OVERHEARD IN THE GROCERY STORE: "Helena is turning into Dodge City . . .

A VERY VIVID imagination don't you think?

Sometimes you make this WAY too easy.

18. Limber
    Limber - March 06, 2011 5:17 pm
    LChad said: "A disarmed person exists at the pleasure of any armed lunatic." -Istvan Nemes"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life" - Robert A. Heinlein"

LChad, you forgot one quote: Barry Goldwater said, "Extremism in defense of liberty is no vice." The second amendment is solid. It is in the constitution and it is going to stay there. It is not threatened! Most gun onwers who support the second amendment have grown weary of the extemism, and are beginning to tire of the radicalization of the NRA. My credentials as a gun owner are better than most, including most Montanas, but I won't go into that. I forgot who said it, but they got it right, "These unibomber types..."

19. TheWalrus
    TheWalrus - March 06, 2011 5:07 pm
    LChad sed: "Violence comes from violent PEOPLE not from guns."

Point taken, but I think having a gun can make a violent person a lot more violent. And deadly. Don't you? I mean, you guys' whole point is that you're going to have to open fire on the federal government and their minions any day now. That's not true, but it's the narrative you people push. You make people more likely to open fire when there's no threat but your imaginary federal boogeymen. They look just like you and me, you know. they walk among us. They talk like us. Better be ready for that "2nd Amendment solution" Sharron Angle warned about, right? Because what's the use of having guns if you can't shoot federal employees who want to take away your guns?
  20. TheWalrus
    TheWalrus - March 06, 2011 5:00 pm
    ppart22 sez: "These people did have something more important to do than work. They exercised their first and second ammendment rights by bearing arms at a peaceful assembly to address a greivance to their government."

OK, I'm game. What, exactly, is their grievance? No fair making up something about someone taking their guns away. That never happened. I know, because they had their guns right there with them. So, where's the grievance?
  21. TheWalrus
    TheWalrus - March 06, 2011 4:55 pm

Good question. Where are they? And why did you imagine them?
    More to the point, why do you think it's a good idea for a firefight to break out? You said " I know it is anecdotal but I can site MANY times what you fear, (a shootout) has happened."

This implies to me that you imagine some nut with a gun opening fire, and all the peaceful 2nd-Amendment patriots taking the shooter out before anything TOO many people die. Which has also never happened, unless you count that one time some doofus tried to rob a gun store. The NRA likes to make up bogus statistics, like "more rapes were prevented by citizens with guns than were actually committed." The NRA never bothered to provide a source for that lie, because there is no source, and they know most of their followers don't care if it's true. As long as it sounds good, it may as well be true. This is also why Reagan is so popular with conservatives.
  22. TheWalrus
    TheWalrus - March 06, 2011 4:45 pm
    Lisa W sed: "Guns don't cause violence. Stupid people cause violence."

Yeah. That's exactly my problem with you people. Well put.
  23. TheWalrus
    TheWalrus - March 06, 2011 4:42 pm
    Where does this paranoia come from? ATTENTION, TEA PARTIERS: NO ONE IS TRYING TO TAKE AWAY YOUR GUNS. I know it gives you some sort of ironic comfort to believe, despite all the evidence, that liberals are Hell-bent on confiscating your deer rifles. This makes sense in an odd sort of way, because I like to believe, despite all the evidence, that conservatives are capable of behaving like rational human beings. Crazy, I know, but it helps me sleep at night. The difference, of course, is that my crazy belief doesn't lead to preventable, accidental deaths.

Anyway, what do taxes have to do with firearms? If you guys keep expanding your purview, you're gonna need another acronym that won't be as catchy as the TEA Party. It's gonna have to be something like the TEAPHFNARSAOCA-UTOAWATAHOWKMETATHIMCCPGBIGAHGB Party.

That stands for "Taxed Enough Already, Packin' Heat For No Apparent Reason, Skeptical About Obama's Citizenship, Anti-Union, Theocratic, Oh, And We Also Think A Handful Of Wolves Kill More Elk Than All The Hunters In Montana Combined. Plus Glenn Beck Is God. All Hail Glenn Beck."

Thanks for the laughs, anyway.
  24. LChad
    LChad - March 06, 2011 10:52 am
    "The Montana Human Rights Network had asked that the permission be revoked because guns in public areas bring a threat of violence and there is no mechanism in place to ensure the weapons were actually unloaded."

The MHRN is so full it! - Violence comes from violent PEOPLE not from guns. Places where non-violence is legislated [gun free towns like Santa Barbara, CA] only criminals have guns - knifings and shootings and beatings occur on daily basis.

I suggest the folks in the MHRN move to Santa Barbara, CA where they might do something, and leave the good people of Montana alone. [But we know their real agenda - disarming of lawful citizens - which has historically always led to tyranny.]

"A disarmed person exists at the pleasure of any armed lunatic." -Istvan Nemes

25. getaclue
    getaclue - March 06, 2011 9:24 am
    Oops, almost forgot, to skooter and your buds, how many people were shot? How many people were beaten? How much public property was denegrated and/or deface during the rally?
    NONE! That's right, none. Cant say the same for your buddies in Wisconsin.
    Oh, and here you always tout that the Tea Party is racist, and violent and.................
  26. honeygetm'gun
    honeygetm'gun - March 06, 2011 7:45 am
    Purple said: "Amazing how the left is so upset about Americans exercising their constitutional rights. It's almost as if those on the left believe that those folks who attended this event had NO RIGHT to do exercise the rights guaranteed to them by the U.S. Constitution.BR>"

It's amazing that you can't exercise your First Ammendment right without saying "left, lib, or dem". Even when I agree with your points, your delivery is so pompous that I quit listening.

I'm a far-left leaning pacifist libturd in your book. I own guns; I'm not about to give them over when the Feds decide to (as if) knock door-to-door asking for them. I'm not upset about people using their living rights; we're using them RIGHT NOW! I simply believe that this rally was a lot like giving roses on Valentines or going to church only on Christmas. Why don't we see these activists walking to work with their unloaded rifle on their shoulder. Why don't they go for a picnic with a basket in one hand and a shotgun in the other? IT'S NOT ILLEGAL--it's your right!

This is shaky stuff--having a liberal talk this way. I'm not saying they have to do this to maintain their rights. I DO think that the First ammendment is enough artillery for a rally--especially when you have something good to say. For now, these cats are making the bigger Tea Party look terrible (Thanks for that) and it appears that they need their guns to get peoples' attentions; what they had to say was probably not interesting enough on its own.

Maybe the pansy little legislators who keep pushing for concealed weapons permits should take a cue on this one and bring their loaded guns to session IN PLAIN SIGHT!
  27. skooter
    skooter - March 05, 2011 9:50 pm
    Capn..."There is no excuse for subtle badmouthing of anyone".

Really - so your badmouthing the left is ok because its not subtle and patently false? Silliness. I can't believe some people can't even see the silliness in the things they say here.

Anyway - have fun with the guns - who cares. Just another tea party hullabaloo that means exactly nothing. The move on event last week beat the pants off of this for attendance and it was cold as crud. Go get 'em vigilante cowboy tea brewing wild guys!
  28. ppart22
    ppart22 - March 05, 2011 7:33 pm

While you sit in the comfort of your livingroom and poke fun, they actually got out and made their point. But don't worry, you won't have to put up with demonstrations like this much longer because the vast majority of us are content to do nothing but make fun and say these 15 folks are looneys for trying to keep our government accountable to its citizens. And so our government will continue to pass legislation against the will of the people and we will continue to feel helpless to do anything except make fun of the very few that try.
  29. Purple
    Purple - March 05, 2011 7:05 pm

I guess this is what the left means when they refer to the Constitution as a "living document" - only those on the left have constitutional rights!

30. enu_22
    enu_22 - March 05, 2011 5:57 pm
    Ya'll would draw a bigger crowd if you got Sarah palin to attend/dance in a bikini and held the rally at Teasers.
  31. Bojangles
    Bojangles - March 05, 2011 4:39 pm
    LisaW said: "When are the leftist fear-mongers going to get it?... Guns don't cause violence. Stupid people cause violence."

Yes.. Yes... and when one looks upon the tea-party, they see stupid people, With guns. I'm pretty sure the leftest fear-mongers already get it.

32. jkc
    jkc - March 05, 2011 3:03 pm
    Great...I feel safer already.

Don't these people have anything better to do from 10-3 on a Friday....like WORK!

33. epzzzz
    epzzzz - March 05, 2011 2:22 pm
    actually rep hale, most of us were at work and couldn't( wouldn't) attend. were you working????
  34. revbudlong
    revbudlong - March 05, 2011 12:07 pm
    It would be great if there was an offshoot of the Tea Party that addressed taxes.
  35. Twangs
    Twangs - March 05, 2011 10:33 am
    Interesting to compare the coverage between the Tea Party rally and the rally last Saturday to support the Wisconsin public workers. The Wisconsin rally received no prior notice in the IR yet about 150 people attended. There was also no article or mention following that rally.

I drove by the Tea Party rally twice, and other friends drove by as well. The most any of us counted was 15 Tea Patiers. Despite the pre rally publicity in the IR. And then today...front page mention, two photographs and a long article.

I could not help but wonder...why the huge disparity in the coverage?
  36. Tri-pleX
    Tri-pleX - March 05, 2011 9:45 am
    For a guy "who was ousted as leader of the Big Sky Tea Party for questionable comments regarding homosexuals" Ravndal sure dresses like a gay biker pirate.
    I saw this on the news last night. A few rednecks packing heat that could barely speak with signs that looked like they were made by preschoolers.
    The sad thing is that I really do believe in this "cause" but wouldn't be associated with this rag-tag group of misfits and unibomber clones if they were representing my right to breath. How embarrassing.
  37. Local Citizen
    Local Citizen - March 05, 2011 9:34 am
    I'm all about our 2nd Amendment rights, and as for any outdoorsman in Montana, I love hunting every year. However, I think I can speak for MOST hunters and outdoorsman in the state, and we aren't interested in protecting the rights for people to carry semi and automatic machine guns with 300 round clips around the public!!!!

Come on now, lets get focused, and protect our 2nd Amendment rights!!! You don't get much if any support, when you walk around the Capital with semi-automatic machine guns. I can say, I have never, and I WILL never need to hunt for elk, deer, and antelope with a machine gun!!!!
  38. Bojangles
    Bojangles - March 05, 2011 9:30 am
    I see a lot of Timothy Treadwell in these guys. There's something deeply rooted in their heads (notice I didn't say minds) most of us can't comprehend, but we all know from afar that when you play with bears, sooner or later.... you're going to find what you must ultimately be looking for.
  39. JUSTDAFACTS
    JUSTDAFACTS - March 05, 2011 8:29 am
    Ok…I am a gun nut, but that is different than a nut with a gun. HAHA! Love the photo…do you REALY expect me to take you seriously while wearing that hat? Then we have the yahoo next to him holding what is supposed to be an unloaded weapon like he is expecting Hamas to jump out from behind the bushes any moment. While I truly appreciate the sign the guy is holding, I certainly wish they could make their point without the whole circus and bringing in the clowns. Loose the silly hat dude!
    And now that I have picked on THAT stupidity… Ok, where are all you crazies who thought a few people with firearms were going to break out into a firefight at the capital? You people keep promoting that crap as if you can site 50 times it has happened…but you cannot site a single account as it has never happened. I know it is anecdotal but I can site MANY times what you fear, (a shootout) has happened. But these all happened at gathering where guns were NOT allowed. Lay off the “everyone is going to die if there is a gun” crud. It just makes you sound stupid…might as well get yourself one of those hats then.
  40. capnbutch
    capnbutch - March 05, 2011 6:05 am
    As a newspaper, you need to decide how you are going to tell a story and how you can be accurate. Were there only a few people or did those people stream in and out throughout the day?

These people tend to have jobs and serious responsibilities at home. Any turnout at all is splendid. You can see from the pictures that those who did make it did not have time to put on suits and topcoats. They are working, productive people.

A group of dangerous Left Wing extremists, the Montana Human Rights Network, recently held a conference for several hundred in Missoula. Those people tend to be unemployable or independently wealthy or, if nothing else, in white collar work. Despite their availability, only 75 showed up but the Lee chain refused to mention the disappointing size of that crowd. It only gushed over what these extremists might do to hurt Republicans, Conservatives and charitable givers that they opposed.

You quoted those extremists in this story but you refused to quote TEA Party members in their story. Seems to me that there is a problem here.

The fact that people on the right survive at all surely can be understood as a sign that they have something good to share with every one of your readers. Journalists are expected to remain aloof and never to attempt to sway the public. There is no excuse for subtle badmouthing of anyone. Please leave your opinions on the Opinion Page.
  41. WorkingHard
    WorkingHard - March 05, 2011 5:45 am
    Let me start again..This is the tea party...a few dozen or less showing off their guns. I'm glad you were able to do this. Bottom line...nobody really cares. All noise and no substance...the essence of the tea party.
  42. WorkingHard
    WorkingHard - March 05, 2011 5:42 am
    This is the tea party in a handbasket.
  43. Tri-pleX
    Tri-pleX - March 05, 2011 1:52 am
    For guy "ousted as leader of the Big Sky Tea Party for questionable comments regarding homosexuals" he sure dresses like a gay biker pirate.
  44. LisaW
    LisaW - March 05, 2011 1:42 am
    When are the leftist fear-mongers going to get it? It's not "promoting violence" to exercise our constitutionally protected right to bear arms. Nobody at this rally was itching for a fight. In fact we are all pretty peaceful...just not pacifists. In fact, the most "violent" (and rude) of the group was definitely the "plant" from the left that tried to say that we were bad for labeling the Governor and 2 US Senators as Tax Kings and somehow tried to tie that into the 2nd Amendment debate. And guess what, we are not going away. We are fighting for our rights (and yours). Maybe one day you'll understand that. Guns don't cause violence. Stupid people cause violence.