Student faces charges after vehicle search at school turns up cannabis

2011-01-28T00:00:00Z Student faces charges after vehicle search at school turns up cannabisBy ALANA LISTOE and ANGELA BRANDT Independent Record Helena Independent Record

Dustin W. Pershall faces a felony charge of criminal possession with intent to distribute, according to documents filed in District Court on Thursday.

School officials and a Helena police officer found a mason jar containing a large amount of marijuana in addition to multiple plastic bags with suspected pot in them inside Pershall’s pickup in the school’s parking lot Tuesday, court documents allege. Two scales also were located along with a bong and three glass pipes.

School staff became suspicious after receiving information that Pershall had returned from lunch smelling of marijuana, the documents state, and his truck was subsequently searched.

“Pershall admitted the drugs and drug paraphernalia were his and that he sold marijuana, but not at school,” court documents say.

The school district won’t release school records, so Superintendent Bruce Messinger wouldn’t speak specifically about this case. However, he was willing to address specific rules about what is allowed on school campuses and what is not.

In Montana, a student expulsion can only be administered by school boards, and Messinger said it has been a long time since that action was taken.

“We will not place a student in a situation where they create a safety threat to themselves or others,” he said.

While expulsions are rare, it’s more common for the district to try to accommodate students by educating them off campus, either through homebound, Montana Digital Academy, or other district-sponsored alternative programs.

“We have options throughout the spectrum,” Messinger said.

It’s strictly against policy to have drugs on campus, but the administrators have leeway within the policy to use discretion, case by case, to manage the violations.

Messinger said the district is conducting its own investigation and the legal system has to work on its own issues. However, being a felon isn’t necessarily grounds for keeping a student out of school.

“We try to find out as much as possible about students, and if there is any evidence that they will be successful, we’ll educate them,” he said.

When it comes to discipline, the HSD works case by case.

“We’ll have to see how it will work through our system,” Messinger said. “We don’t have enough information today to see if we have the ability to be effective.”

dolphind3 - February 04, 2011 10:52 am
    belle; How do you know it is his first offense? Also if he didn't want to have a felony conviction(way to early to assume that will happen) then he should not be engaged in selling an illegal drug. Hence the no slap on the wrist. It is illegal. So now you say that if an adult wants to do something that they should be allowed to do it as long as it doesn't harm others even if it is illegal? Our society can't function that way, sorry.
    Rosyc3; Wow, see I can say that too. Let me set some facts straight.....I never said that pot was physiologically addictive, I did post quotes from websites, I have talked to my dr. about his thoughts on pot use for medical pain and he is not convinced that it is more effective than other legal choices. He did say that it works well with severely ill patients that need help being able to eat. So you feel that it is not psychologically addictive and doesn't lead to other drug use and does not have harmful side effects of its own.
  2. Joe Montana
    Joe Montana - February 03, 2011 1:54 pm

Set aside your beliefs regarding marijuana for a moment. Think about this statement made by the superintendent of schools about the decision wether or not to educate children:

HOLY COW! "If there is any evidence..."

How would that be determined Mr. Superintendent? By an IQ test? What about those "kids" who are nothing but trouble and fail constantly?

Sounds like we have a superintendent who needs to think before he speaks...or is this really the truth? Kids who come from tough homes, many times are the worst trouble makers in k-12. Miraculously, some of those kids grow up to be upstanding citizens.

It seems to me this superintendent is insinuating that there are kids that he and his cronies deem as sub-par, and make the choice not to educate.

What about the football player who is nothing more than a spoiled bully? How about a cheer leader who comes from a well to do home who makes everyone else's life miserable?

Hey, we've all know these people or were these people. Bad/badder/worst. Which is which?

Shame on this superintendent. My tax dollars are to educate every kid. Those who are the worst behaving, come from extremes in many cases but not all.

Sounds like we do need to have an officer with a drug sniffing dog walk through every high school in Montana, once a day. Call it practice for the dog...

3. rosyc3
    rosyc3 - February 03, 2011 12:42 pm
    Wow Dolphin!! Wow. Let me set some facts straight. The medical definition or criteria for a substance to be considered addictive is that is must have a physiological effect on your body when you stop ingesting it. As a health care professional I can tell you that we have to deal with this on an almost daily basis. in the hospital we keep whiskey on hand for alcoholics and it is prescribed by doctors to prevent patients from going into Detox while admitted to the hospital, We have nicotine patches for smokers who suffer withdrawal symptoms while in the hospital. We have methadone for heroin addicts, In 20 Years working in hospitals all over america i have never seen pot in a hospital to prevent withdrawals...why? it is not physiologically addictive! Period!
  4. belle517
    belle517 - February 03, 2011 11:52 am
    Dolphind3 – Keep in mind as you say “as an adult I have the right to have a drink or two or whatever as long as I don't get behind the wheel and put others at risk” that the ONLY reason you have this “right” is because there were enough politicians that liked to “imbibe” that they were able to repeal prohibition. It’s not “apples and oranges” do not forget - alcohol was once illegal too! I believe that any adult in this “free country” should be able to do anything they want to themselves as long as it doesn’t put others at risk. If someone wants to cook up some meth and OD on it, drink until they die of alcohol poisoning, drive their car off a cliff, jump off a bridge or even put a gun to their head and pull the trigger, maybe, just maybe, we didn’t need that person in the gene pool anyway. Of course even if a majority of people in this supposedly “free country”, decided by popular vote that this drug or any/all drugs should be legal, the politicians would just try and pass legislation to repeal the popular vote because they think they know what’s best for everyone. Just like what is being argued by our legislators right now. The conservatives are trying to repeal a ballot initiative that the majority of Montanans approved, because they don’t agree with it and think that their way is the best way for everyone. Well, as you say “times have changed”, and I hate to break it to you, but they continue to change more all the time.

Don’t put words in my mouth, I NEVER said that pot doesn’t impair one’s ability to drive, as a matter of fact I gave a couple of examples of the impairment I’ve personally witnessed. Although I’ve known people that smoked pot and then drove a vehicle (and never know anyone to get in a vehicle accident while driving high), it can definitely slow down your reflexes, so no one SHOULD drive after using pot, alcohol or any other drug.

I’m not trying to compare this to what’s legal for adults to do, what I’m suggesting is that if we slap kids on the wrist (sometimes multiple times) for alcohol, which is also illegal for them, then why would we treat a first offense of this illegal act any differently? The article suggests that this kid could face 20 years in jail!! I assume the kid will have his life ruined because he’s been charged as an adult, if he is convicted, even if they give him probation and no jail time (a slap on the wrist), then what college do you think would accept him with an adult, felony conviction of drug distribution? And I think a conviction like that would also disqualify him for any kind of financial aid for college. And even if he manages to get a degree or go into a trade, it’s going to be very hard for him to find a decent employer to hire him with the drug conviction. I’m not trying to justify his bad behavior, but for a first offense, I think they should treat him being in possession of this illegal substance (pot) the same way as if he were in possession of another illegal substance (alcohol).
    dolphind3 - February 02, 2011 6:00 pm
    Agreed independantwoman, Belle, by your way of thinking then any and all druds should be legal, we can't discriminate against one and not the other. No matter what I may say I am never going to change your way of thinking. I was with my friend the whole day and watched him get high, yes he was only on pot. We all tried to stop him but he was ok. Not all pot smokers lack the ability to get off the couch. You want to paint everything with a broadbrush. I agree with IW, why are you assuming that he will have his life ruined???? He needs a cold dose of reality and so does anyone that thinks its safe to do drugs. You keep wanting to compare this to things that are legal for adults to do. That is just trying to justify a bad behavior on your part for this kid or anyone else. Times have changed, when I was in highschool they didn't give out mip's, they called your parents and then you got in trouble. Now they don't do that, if they let someone off and they get hurt then the parents sue. Or worse yet the parents now may not even punish their child for doing wrong.
    You can call me a hypocrite all you like if it helps you sleep better at night. I never said that alcohol is not dangerous but as an adult I have the right to have a drink or two or whatever as long as I don't get behind the wheel and put others at risk, according to you smoking pot does not impare ones ability to drive. lol And you call me a hypocrite? Again, smoking pot is illegal alcohol is not. Apples to oranges. There are people that argue that meth should be legal in some forms as a way to lose weight. Are you one of them, if not why? It would help people right? Or does it boil down to if we allow that then we would need to allow its recreational use too
  6. independantwoman
    independantwoman - February 02, 2011 12:24 pm
    belle517 and dolphind3

I can understand with both your points of view when it comes to pot. Its really hard to compare what is "Uncertain" or what "May be." And I don't think anyone really knows ALL the answers. However we have laws, and until the laws are changed, we are supposed to abide by them. I personally think that pot should be legal, but thats just my opinion. I also believe that if an 18 year-old can die for our freedoms, they should be able to have a beer. But since its against the law, I expect my children to obey it! PERIOD! Even if I disagree with it. The reason being is if I the parent let them believe that laws can be broken if you don't agree with it, what other laws might they break. We don't know what this persons final punishment is, and everyone is making a lot of assumptions. But I bet it will be more than just having a bag and a pipe. He intended to sell, and had quite a bit of pot in his possession. Yes he may be a minor, but minors get charged as adults all the time. The fact is, he broke the law, and he did it knowingly!
  7. belle517
    belle517 - February 02, 2011 11:34 am
    Dolphind3 – I never said pot was completely safe, and of course it’s a "mind altering" drug, if it wasn't, people wouldn't have a reason to use it (and BTW, it's been years since I personally smoked any). However, alcohol is also a mind altering drug and can cause a multitude of health problems along with daily driving fatalities directly attributed to it. I’m really sorry about your friend but I still maintain that he/she was probably using some other drug along with pot (probably alcohol), you may not have been aware of it, but I’d be willing to put money on it. I’ve known a lot of people that have driven after smoking pot and the main problem they all seem to have is driving about 10-20 mph UNDER the speed limit, starting to slow down several hundred yards early for stop signs/stoplights and being in no big hurry to get wherever they’re going. And, I also find it hard to believe that if he was "very high" and had ONLY smoked pot, that he would have even been motivated enough to get off the couch/chair, much less get on a motorcycle.

My biggest point here is that alcohol is as bad, if not worse than pot and if one is illegal, the other should also be illegal. You want to keep pot illegal based on your arguments, then you should also be diligently working towards alcohol prohibition. And based on your statement that “alcohol is not illegal but it is for kids to drink it” then why not throw every minor caught with it in jail for a mandatory sentence? Why should that "illegal activity" be swept under the rug? As often as minors are caught with alcohol, they should have a set punishment for this illegal activity. Maybe 3 months, 6 months, how about a year in jail or juvie for alcohol possession? Oh, and the adult that buys it should also be thrown in jail for “distribution” that should be about 10-20 years, just like this kid is facing for distribution of pot.

Look, I am NOT advocating minors using any drug (yes, alcohol is a drug too) or anyone driving/boating/hunting impaired, but no one should have their life ruined over the possession or sale of pot OR alcohol. Anyone who preaches prohibition of pot and truly believes that alcohol is not just as dangerous, if not more so, is deluding themselves. And if any of these “delusional people” have ever enjoyed having a drink or two then they are also hypocrites.
    dolphind3 - February 01, 2011 3:13 pm
    Belle, the same can be said for anything wether it is drugs or being born gay or whatever. You can find anything to try and substantiate a claim. I am glad that you don't take any warnings seriously and that pot is completely safe. It is not the root of all evil but it is illegal and needs to remain so. It is a mind altering drug and to sit at your computer and actually type that pot is not responsible for any deaths is completely naive on your part. No one has ever died of aids either!!! Just from other diseases that have taken over their bodies but aids did not kill them. I also am not so sure that around here alcohol is abused more by teens than pot. But if it is so what?? The only thing that is laughable is the fact that you really believe that it is not harmful in the least. Here is a newsflash for you.....alcohol is not illegal but it is for kids to drink it. I am well educated on this and understand what the problems in our schools are far more than you do. I can't believe that you are rationalizing pot use in the way that you are. Maybe you have smoked one to many bowls. If someone is under the effect of a drug and they are driving and hurt themself or others then it is not the drugs or alcohols fault but the person right? Well that is true that it is the person is at fault but the alcohol or drug including pot is the contributing factor thus can be attributed to deaths
  9. belle517
    belle517 - February 01, 2011 1:50 pm
    Dolphind3 - Wow, I mean WOW, what propaganda have you been reading???? I'd really like to see some sources for your information. I'll conceded that you have some idiots that get behind the wheel of a motor vehicle when stoned and could possibly wreck, but realistically, I'd be willing to bet that in MOST cases(if not all), they were probably drinking or doing other drugs too. There are also some people that are just born with addictive personalities and it doesn't matter what they do (alcohol, any drug, sex, gambling) they get addicted to it. And if you inhale enough smoke from anything (including pot, cigarettes or even campfires) there could be some respiratory effects. But overall, I think your taking your "facts" out of context. For instance, the National Institute of Health (Institute of Drug Abuse) states:

"A number of studies have shown an association between chronic marijuana use and increased rates of anxiety, depression, and schizophrenia. Some of these studies have shown age at first use to be an important risk factor, where early use is a marker of increased vulnerability to later problems. However, AT THIS TIME, IT IS NOT CLEAR WHETHER MARIJUANA USE CAUSES MENTAL PROBLEMS, EXACERBATES THEM, OR REFLECTS AN ATTEMPT TO SELF-MEDICATE SYMPTOMS ALREADY IN EXISTENCE. Chronic marijuana use, especially in a very young person, may also be a marker of risk for mental illnesses - including addiction - STEMMING FROM GENETIC OR ENVIRONMENTAL VULNERABILITIES, SUCH AS EARLY EXPOSURE TO STRESS OR VIOLENCE."

I think this clearly indicates that although there is an association between these genetically/environmentally "vulnerable" individuals and "chronic" marijuana use, they have NO PROOF that pot either causes these disorders or helps them. So basically, people who are prone to or already have mental disorders sometimes use pot excessively....boy, I wonder if some of them are alcoholics, addicted to prescription drugs or use other illicit drugs too???

Here's the results of an actual study done by the University of Southern California you may want to check out, it shows that: "USC College study finds no link between symptoms of depression and regular marijuana use. http://college.usc.edu/news/stories/130/marijuana-and-depression/

Dolphind3, you make it sound like pot is the "root of all evil" but I can do a little research and find plenty of quotes to back up my point of view also, here are a few:

"Data linking alcohol to depression is much stronger and alcohol use by teens is greater than marijuana use."

"The British government's official scientific advisors on illegal drugs issued a report saying they are 'unconvinced that there is a causal relationship between the use of cannabis and any affective disorder,' such as depression."

"Those who use marijuana to battle the symptoms of illness may be depressed because of their illness, not because of marijuana. Studies that do not identify medical use might falsely implicate marijuana, rather than sickness, as the cause of depressed feelings."

And that's just in regards to depression. Your "symptoms of overdose" are laughable, I found the following overdose information on drugwarfacts.org:

"An exhaustive search of the literature finds no deaths induced by marijuana. The US Drug Abuse Warning Network (DAWN) records instances of drug mentions in medical examiners' reports, and though marijuana is mentioned, it is usually in combination with alcohol or other drugs. Marijuana alone has not been shown to cause an overdose death."

Also:
    When examining the health affects of marijuana use, the National Commission on Marihuana and Drug Abuse concluded, "A careful search of the literature and testimony of the nation's health officials has not revealed a single human fatality in the United States proven to have resulted solely from ingestion of marihuana. Experiments with the drug in monkeys demonstrated that the dose required for overdose death was enormous and for all practical purposes unachievable by humans smoking marihuana. This is in marked contrast to other substances in common use, most notably alcohol and barbiturate sleeping pills."

Do some more research and really educate yourself. No "drug", including alcohol is totally safe, but if you’re going to vilify pot and send people to jail for it, we should definitely be doing the same thing to alcohol users too. Admittedly, kids shouldn't be using pot, but they also shouldn't be using alcohol either and there are loads of kids that do that to. As for adults, we should all be able to choose to do whatever we want, drink alcohol, smoke cigarettes or smoke/ingest pot as long as it doesn't hurt anyone else. You make your choices and let others make their own, just because you don't think a choice is right for you, doesn't give you the right to make it for everyone else.
    dolphind3 - January 31, 2011 11:23 pm
    Sorry belle but you are misinformed on a couple things. Number one is that there has never been a death directly attributed to pot. I once had a friend that was smoking pot and was very high, he wrapped his motorcycle around a power pole. That is just one example. As far as eating an dsmoking pot all day, let's think about that. All forms of marijuana are mind-altering (psychoactive). In other words, they change how the brain works. A lot of other chemicals are found in marijuana, too — about 400 of them, some of which are carcinogenic. Marijuana is addictive with more teens in treatment with a primary diagnosis of marijuana dependence than for all other illicit drugs combined. Using marijuana can also lead to disturbed perceptions and thoughts, and marijuana use can worsen psychotic symptoms in people who have schizophrenia. Additionally, there are higher rates of depression, anxiety, and suicidal thinking among people who use marijuana when compared to people who don't use. Teens who started using marijuana before age 15 are more likely to suffer from anxiety and depression in early adulthood. A new study shows that smoking marijuana is associated with a 40% increase risk of psychosis, and the risk is greater among regular and frequent users. Marijuana side effects from an overdose include toxic psychosis including hallucinations, delusions and a loss of self-identification,other side effects include physical problems like breathing difficulties and deteriorating physical abilities. Not to mention what can happen in an accident. Despite a popular belief, marijuana side effects speed up the heart, blood and breathing rate.

The body is taxed more and this speeds up the aging process just like methamphetamines do. The marijuana side effects from this extra exertion on the body include a higher risk for lung cancer, heart attacks and strokes.
    Marijuana side effects also wreak havoc on the brain when the drug is used habitually. The natural chemical balance of the brain is disrupted affecting the pleasure centers and regulatory systems. The ability to learn, remember and adapt quickly to changes is impaired by marijuana use. Depression often occurs with marijuana usage, which feeds into the cycle of more drug use to treat the pain created by drug use. This cycle of addiction is very powerful and users soon find that they cannot stop using the drug even if they want to.

Marijuana addiction is a progressive disease and marijuana side effects include withdrawal and obsessive thought with the drug when it is not made available. Addiction is identified as a compulsive, uncontrollable craving for the drug even with pending negative consequences. Often users will attempt to stop smoking marijuana for an important event such as a job interview or court hearing and find themselves using very close or just before the event. This act goes beyond a flexing of willpower. This describes being enveloped by a disease that has taken control and needs to be treated. There is a reason that this drug is illegal, it is not harmless no matter how you want to paint it.

11. belle517
    belle517 - January 31, 2011 1:30 pm
    out_2_lunch - I suppose you and yours have NEVER done anything in your lives that you could have been arrested for? Anything? I'm so glad you can safely live in your glass house! MJ may BE just as "illegal" as Meth, but that doesn't mean it SHOULD BE. There is a BIG difference between the two, there has never been even 1 death directly attributed to MJ, you can't say that about any other drug including alcohol and nicotine.

Dolphind3 - "Crime breeds more crime" your absolutely right, and now this kid, who's probably never been in trouble with the law before, could end up doing jail time with hardened criminals that will, I'm sure, be glad to "school him" in all the various ways he'll be able to make money now that he's a criminal! Don't feel sorry for me, I get it perfectly. I never suggested that this should be swept under the rug; I just don't think this kid needs to be given a life-long criminal record. It's really too bad that we couldn't address this with the parents, give him a significant "school based" punishment and give this kid a second chance.

I do live by a code of honor and try to teach my kids the right path in life, my teenager loves to tell anyone that will listen how strict I am, however, I also understand that kids make bad choices sometimes. I'd hate to think that if one of my children were in this situation, that their ability to go to college or even get a decent job would forever be ruined because of one mistake.

I also agree with you that the kids today lack the fear of getting in trouble, to many parents coddling their kids and refusing to make them take responsibility for their actions. And with anything else, if my kid did something wrong, I'd always back the school/law/authority, but I really don't think anyone, teenager or adult should be given a criminal record over pot. It been proven that it's not a gateway drug, it’s not as dangerous as alcohol and nicotine, and maybe, if it were legal, we wouldn't have problems with prescription drug abuse that seems to be running rampant across our state and country. And why do we have so much more prescription drug abuse? I think a big reason is because people (kids and adults) would rather take what they perceive to be "safe drugs" (even if they don't know exactly what they're taking or how much would be a fatal dose) rather than risk going to jail over pot (a substance you can eat/smoke all day and never overdose on!)
  12. WindyHill72
    WindyHill72 - January 29, 2011 3:51 pm
    In a sane world this incident would have been handled as if it were beer or cigarettes he had in his truck. The young man and his parents would meet with the Principle, behind closed doors, and come to an agreement regarding future behavior. No headlines, no drama, nobody else's business... and most likely the problem would have been solved.

Cannabis prohibition is the real crime here. It ruins thousands of young lives every year.

dolphind3 - January 29, 2011 12:26 pm
    Oh and Skooter, I think you missed somethign in the article.lol
    dolphind3 - January 29, 2011 12:26 pm
    Ok let me be clear on this... Belle, lilkim, bigdaddy,comment and anyone else who thinks that this should be brushed under the carpet......I really feel sorry for you. You just don't get it do you. Crime breeds more crime and when someone gets away with it they just get more daring. This is not going to make kids smoke more, it is a great deterent. There are alot of kids that before this thought that pot was no big deal and now they are scared to death that they could be the ones in trouble. This is not debateable by the way, this is first hand information! One of the things that keeps kids in line is the fear of getting in trouble and lately there has not been alot of fear in this generation, only attitude and defiance. A little is good but the level that things are at is not healthy and alot of good kids are being drawn into things that they know are wrong but has become the norm and accepted, even by some adults(see the names at the begining of my rant). I am going to quote a very smart person who shall remain nameless and say that most of us live by a code of honor and try to teach our kids the right path in life and all we can do is hope that others do the same, we want our kids to be safe. The sad thing is we spend to much time having to protect our kids from other kids who's parents are more interested in being their kids friends and not their parents.
  15. whyohwhy
    whyohwhy - January 29, 2011 9:31 am
    Really? Poor kid just made a mistake? No, a mistake is putting on mismatched socks in the morning or getting the wrong answer to a math problem. What he did is break the law, had a serious error in judgment and ethics and should be punished for it. Is there room for second chances? Absolutely, but to to cry about the mean adults ruining this poor kid's life because of a mistake - this isn't a mistake. Peddling drugs - regardless if its MJ, pills or heroin - is presently illegal and isn't a mistake. The kid's in trouble because he has people like some of you making excuses, covering up for him when he goes wrong and enabling such behavior by telling him what a victim of society he is. This has NOTHING to do with whether MJ should be legal or not.
  16. bigdaddy
    bigdaddy - January 28, 2011 10:59 pm
    There is alot of rotten people out there that have done far worse and have just gotten a slap on the wrist for it. I agree with "lilkim" He is 17 yrs. and still a minor and his name should not have been made public. Triing him as a adult will make it very hard for him to not become another statisic and the bottom line he is a kid (juvinille) not an adult.....
    We have all made mistake and this is a big one that is really stupid. Oh and by the way how hard is it to get a prescription for medical mary jane.. Not very hard you can do a phone interview to get one you do not even need to go to the doctor. Talk about stupid. If he is tried as an adult and not a juvinille then we will just be creating another person that will have to turn to crime just to survive because it will be very hard for him to get a job and be a productive member of society.
  17. lilkim
    lilkim - January 28, 2011 10:04 pm
    I don't know how u can judge a 17 yr old(that you know nothing about),so harshly?! He is a beloved son, brother, nephew, grandson, cousin & friend & just because he made a mistake, does not mean he is a bad kid. You know that not a single one of us can say we have never made a mistake, most of us just don't get caught. Furthermore, I think it is irresponsible & unethical for the newspaper to publish this minor's name, since he has only been charged of this crime, not convicted!!
  18. out_2_lunch
    out_2_lunch - January 28, 2011 8:03 pm
    belle517 - Really? This is why it should be legal?....to keep him out of trouble??? He broke the law. Public schools, tv, radio, books, parents, basically everywhere you look tell people that pot is illegal. If he's stupid enough to still do it and even worse, bring it on school property, then he should be willing to pay the price. In no way should people condone the useage/dealing of an illegal substance by anybody, especially a minor. It's people like you that made this happen in the first place by holding their hand and telling them that everything is alright. Also you say that if he was selling meth, it'd be a different story....how so? They're both illegal and they both carry punishment.
  19. comment
    comment - January 28, 2011 7:19 pm
    This poor kid is going to have a bunch of adults ruin his life over a little bit of weed. Our culture of hate and fear today is despicable.

What good will it do these kids or our society to viciously destroy this boys life? I went to an eastern Montana high school in the 80s and pot was easy to get, kids were selling it in the parking lots then too. It's no worse today. But we all grew up and prospered.

In this day, why do we need to crush our children with these crazy laws? When the rest of the kids see how this goes down it won't deter kids smoking pot at all, in fact it will make it appear more rebellious, more dangerous, more enticing to half of them.
  20. belle517
    belle517 - January 28, 2011 4:02 pm
    And this is exactly why pot should be legal. This poor kid is going to have his life ruined, and probably any chance of him EVER becoming a reasonably productive member of society, all because he was selling some pot. This is why our prisons are overcrowded and our kids (and adults) are abusing dangerous prescription drugs.

Dolphind3 - The last thing we need to do is kick this kid out of school, he's going to need every bit of education possible to try, probably unsucessfully, to make something of his life.

A lot of kids make big mistakes and poor choices, some get caught, some don't. You don't know this kid's story, what if both his parents are out of work and he's trying to help feed his family? (not likely, but there could be extenuating circumstances) Now, if the kid was selling meth, It'd be another story, but no one should have their life ruined over pot. This situation is just setting this kid up to be a criminal for life.
  21. wow
    wow - January 28, 2011 1:37 pm
    Skooter maybe you should read the article! The first sentence states that he is being tried as adult!
  22. mtgirly
    mtgirly - January 28, 2011 1:02 pm
    skooter said on: January 28, 2011, 9:19 am
    I thought juveniles still were afforded the protection of NOT having their names given in the paper unless they were being charged with a crime as an adult. While I don't really care about a kid being arrested - it is the law after all - but certain rights still should be upheld for juveniles versus adults.

What's the IR policy on this?

-----------
    As you would have read in the first sentence: A 17-year-old Capital High School student has been charged as an adult for allegedly dealing marijuana.

-------------

He is being charged as an adult, therefore his name should be published.
  23. Mt_Native
    Mt_Native - January 28, 2011 12:26 pm
    @ skooter....did you "read" the article or just see the name was given. I believe the very first line says, "A 17-year-old Capital High School student has been charged as an adult for allegedly dealing marijuana."
  24. Helena_man
    Helena_man - January 28, 2011 11:20 am
    skooter, you may want to check out the first sentence in the article again...
    dolphind3 - January 28, 2011 10:44 am
    He doesn't sell it at school? What a liar!! This is the kind of crap that is going on in our schools that I have been talking about. This is why they need to let the police bring in the drug dogs to weed out(no pun intended) all of the dealers and users at the schools. This kid has no business even being at the school now, I am surprised that he didn't try to say that he is only supllying to people for medicinal purposes.
  26. skooter
    skooter - January 28, 2011 9:19 am

What's the IR policy on this?
  27. Agent Smack
    Agent Smack - January 28, 2011 8:53 am
    Two words....Jury Nullification

Activate subscription button gif
Subscribe to HelenaIR.com Email Newsletters

Breaking news, contests, morning headlines and more. Sign up for updates from the Independent Record

Featured Offers & Deals